welder circuit problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

burner

Joined Jan 7, 2016
hello my names dane i recently bout a rechargeable welder, its a matco WFW2135.
it seems like its not getting constant power to the torch, starts but no bead, just a spark
flash then nothing. i opened it up looks like new batteries and new coil, oh there's two 12v batteries,24v drive motor, cigarette lighter/charging port,on/off switch, coil, rheostat w/ resistor,circuit board, and something elts i dont know what. ive taken pictures[ there not great] that show the components

my question is mite the resister in line to the rheostat be bad and causing uneven current to the torch?
its unwrapped in the pick, looks like it got real hot at one time the heat shield is burnt to a

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Your first post!, welcome to AAC!

We always appreciate schematics for circuit problems and pictures with sufficient detail, but reasonable file size (<< 8MB).

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
How old is the battery?
Monitor it's voltage when you try to weld. It should remain above 10 volts undervthe heavy load.
It also contains an old school automotive type solenoid relay. They often needed replacement due to damage on the contacts from repeated heavy current loads.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
The files size that you attached were too too big, I was compressed them to the normal size, they are from about 8MB compressed to about 110KB, next time before you upload the files, please compress the photos to 800x600 or 640x480, if necessary then you can compress to 1024x768, almost the photos using 800x600 image is enough.

Too much file size will affecting the connecting speed of members to viewing the thread, thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

burner

Joined Jan 7, 2016
The files size that you attached were too too big, I was compressed them to the normal size, they are from about 8MB compressed to about 110KB, next time before you upload the files, please compress the photos to 800x600 or 640x480, if necessary then you can compress to 1024x768, almost the photos using 800x600 image is enough.

Too much file size will affecting the connecting speed of members to viewing the thread, thanks for your understanding and cooperation.
all the photos are 8MB or less is this not correct?

burner

Joined Jan 7, 2016
How old is the battery?
Monitor it's voltage when you try to weld. It should remain above 10 volts undervthe heavy load.
It also contains an old school automotive type solenoid relay. They often needed replacement due to damage on the contacts from repeated heavy current loads.
both batteries are new hold 12.55volts

burner

Joined Jan 7, 2016
Your first post!, welcome to AAC!

We always appreciate schematics for circuit problems and pictures with sufficient detail, but reasonable file size (<< 8MB).
all photos are 8MB or less is this not rite? and sorry no schematics one off machine from matco
tools.

burner

Joined Jan 7, 2016
How old is the battery?
and you can hear the relay click so its working

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Okay. A shot of tequila all around.

We are a large community of people who enjoy mentoring and share a common love of all thing electronical (new word bonus)

Posts are emotionless and when we are frustrated we misinterpret the emotional and social meaning of them.
I know I've done it here and other places plenty of times.

So. The battery is good and the relay is energizing. Still need to know if the contacts are fried or not. For that an ohm meter may not be able to tell us about a problem under a load.
The easiest, quickest and perhaps cheapest way of confirming no problem with the starter solenoid is to replace it with another new one.

burner

Joined Jan 7, 2016
Okay. A shot of tequila all around.

We are a large community of people who enjoy mentoring and share a common love of all thing electronical (new word bonus)

Posts are emotionless and when we are frustrated we misinterpret the emotional and social meaning of them.
I know I've done it here and other places plenty of times.

So. The battery is good and the relay is energizing. Still need to know if the contacts are fried or not. For that an ohm meter may not be able to tell us about a problem under a load.
The easiest, quickest and perhaps cheapest way of confirming no problem with the starter solenoid is to replace it with another new one.
thank you for helping i think i uploaded pictures that were to large, i can try to take some picks that are smaller if it helps, yes i have 12.55 volts on the batteries, the solenoid is operating ok, its new.

i think i've narrowed it down to the rheostat/resistor combo, only there's no info on the resistor or rheostat so i don't know what to replace
the resister is a ohmite 2"x1/4" BROWN solid color, i think i see 10w on it, the rheostat nothing it has a rubber backing on it thats it.

its a 24V system and it produces 130amp is there a zone i can stay in to be safe?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
While the forum presently lets you upload very large pictures, it is seldom necessary and almost always counter-productive. The large limit is to accommodate the tiny fraction of times when large, high resolution images truly are needed. As you can see from ScottWang's resizing of your original pictures, photos that are just a few percent of the original size serve just fine.

The rule of thumb I use is that images should be between 300 and 600 pixels wide. Photos should be in JPG and line art should be in PNG. This almost always yields serviceable images that are well under 100 kB in size.

Keep in mind that the point of posting images is that, presumably, you want other members to actually view them. Many members have slow internet connections and will not wait for large image files to load. When you DO need to upload large image files, always be sure to attach them (as opposed to posting them in the body of the post) so that members can view the small post body and then decide whether to download the large files.

Finally, foul language is not acceptable at all. You do not have to participate on this forum, that is your choice to make. But if you do then you WILL be civil or you WILL be banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.