Welcome to AAC Retirees Club

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Just got back from the State Retirement system in SLC, what a relief to get it turned in, I should have enough to live on when the pension kicks in, I opted in for Spousal if I die she's receiving the same amount, but I lost about $100, now it's down to $850 a month, not sure how much Fed and State will cost me.

kv
Pretty close here too. Cost me about $100 a month but if I check out first she continues to receive my benefit. Matter of fact if I decline that she needs to sign off on it and it needs notarized.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
LOL I had to sign some financial papers today and had to ask the wife what year it is. Some things just don't really matter after retiring. What I can remember is that tomorrow is our 42nd wedding anniversary! Time flies when yer havin' fun...
Congratulations on the anniversary. Been married about the same, just not to the same woman. :) Will be 30 years with the last one I married in February.

Ron

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I just became a Retiree, I will still do some part-time or full time till I'm 70. But, I maintain my benefits as well as my pension. I will start putting money away for travel, I also can go to school for free. Now, I need to see if my boss will retain me as a part-time Tech I , he now can use my Tech III Full time position for a younger person. Either way, time to party :p:p:p

kv:)
I just joined the club last month. I can't figure out how I got so much done while working and still have time left for hobbies. Now the "honey dew" list is overflowing. XYL wants a new kitchen. I'm busy ripping out kitchen cabinets. Next to come is having to redo all the plumbing and electrical.

My guiding principle is, "Why do today what you can put off for tomorrow?"

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Yeah my XYL has been watching too much Home Renovations on TV and she had to do the bathrooms, kitchen (plus washer, double oven range, and under-cabinet microwave), faux wood flooring entire house PLUS add a 20'x20' w/ outside deck 40K$ Sun Room onto the house. The kitchen and bathrooms worked perfectly before but I do like the faux marble countertops. And the mortgage WAS paid before. Ah well... At least I'm getting a new built-in desk/workbench out of it.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
When the children are all gone and a couple enters retirement, why is it that the woman always wants to remodel the kitchen?

That seems to me like the triumph of fantasy over reality.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I just joined the club last month. I can't figure out how I got so much done while working and still have time left for hobbies. Now the "honey dew" list is overflowing. XYL wants a new kitchen. I'm busy ripping out kitchen cabinets. Next to come is having to redo all the plumbing and electrical.

For me I've already done paint throughout, flooring, trim, plumbing, all that's left inside is run a gas line to free up 40amps going to an electrical stove, then repair the electrical, paint the existing kitchen cabinets, new hardware, new fake marble kitchen top, some decorative tile under the cabinets. Already, did the 10x10 shed last year.

After that plan to sell it and get the heck off this busy street, put the money in the bank, travel is on my mind, learn Italian and some french. Electronics is the farthest from my mind right now. But, I still like hanging out here off and on, Math, and Physics still a hobby for me.

kv

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010

It takes talent to spend all day doing nothing.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Hey, since the didn't approve my Stipend of $830 a month for the next 3.5 years, I'm considering taking my Social Security now at 62. Someone said somewhere in this thread I think? It was for me I could take it now and pay it back, then collect it when I'm 70 to get full benefits.

Is that true?

kv

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
When the children are all gone and a couple enters retirement, why is it that the woman always wants to remodel the kitchen?

That seems to me like the triumph of fantasy over reality.
Because the growth chart on the pantry door is tattered and torn, the children are gone and they've stopped scribbling on the walls.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Still in the Work Club.

The nice lady from the local OSHA during an audit asked me about EE group plans for employee replacement as older folks retire. I told her that my plan was to be next to the pool in Vegas while my replacement worked on this issue.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Because the growth chart on the pantry door is tattered and torn, the children are gone and they've stopped scribbling on the walls.
Exactly, and they dream of those days with a full kitchen. Remodeling is a way to pretend it will happen again, but knowing it won't. Just like adding a fresh egg to a prepared cake mix. Not really necessary, but it makes the mother feel better and helped sell the product (described in "The Hucksters," Wakeman circa late 1940's).

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
For me I've already done paint throughout, flooring, trim, plumbing, all that's left inside is run a gas line to free up 40amps going to an electrical stove, then repair the electrical, paint the existing kitchen cabinets, new hardware, new fake marble kitchen top, some decorative tile under the cabinets. Already, did the 10x10 shed last year.

After that plan to sell it and get the heck off this busy street, put the money in the bank, travel is on my mind, learn Italian and some french. Electronics is the farthest from my mind right now. But, I still like hanging out here off and on, Math, and Physics still a hobby for me.

kv
Because I still had lots of vacation time owing to me I managed to get five weeks off just before and after retirement day. I did my stint in France and got to work on my french. I hope to continuing practicing my french. Nice is nice and well worth a visit.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Hey, since the didn't approve my Stipend of $830 a month for the next 3.5 years, I'm considering taking my Social Security now at 62. Someone said somewhere in this thread I think? It was for me I could take it now and pay it back, then collect it when I'm 70 to get full benefits.
No. Once you start collecting early, you have the reduced monthly benefit for the rest of your life. The only exception used to be (don't know if it still exists) is if you decide within the first year that you didn't want to start payments and pay back all of the payments you received.

If you start collecting at 62 and live until 85, you'll get the same amount of money that you'd get taking payments from 66-85. If you live longer than the average life expectancy, you lose.
EDIT: retirement age info from SSA:
1574969819352.png
1574969789764.png

To get the latest word, you should check with SSA; rather than trusting some member who had good intentions but was wrong.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
There are lots of factors to consider. Life expectancy and taxes are two. Another is "last day of service." That may not affect all plans, but some plans base the benefit (up to a limit) on the last day of service. The net effect of that is, if you take vacation and begin retirement while on vacation, your benefits may be reduced. I always advised people who wanted to do that (I did not object to it ever), to come in on their last day for their retirement party.

Of course, no work got done on that day, but it satisfied the rule.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
No. Once you start collecting early, you have the reduced monthly benefit for the rest of your life. The only exception used to be (don't know if it still exists) is if you decide within the first year that you didn't want to start payments and pay back all of the payments you received.

If you start collecting at 62 and live until 85, you'll get the same amount of money that you'd get taking payments from 66-85. If you live longer than the average life expectancy, you lose.
EDIT: retirement age info from SSA:
View attachment 193343
View attachment 193342

To get the latest word, you should check with SSA; rather than trusting some member who had good intentions but was wrong.
I'm in the SSA sweet spot for lightly less than full retirement age (62+ with VA medical) but having a 14 yo in high school means waiting to at least until after she graduates HS to keep her medical coverage on a company plan.