Welcome to AAC Retirees Club

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Interesting.

Why not use one continuous band or longer links?

Beside this being a chain of Moebius links, I find much more interesting the material used. If their claims are true, they could be used almost in any environment. Not sure about extreme temperatures. Cold ones are a concern. Anyway, sharp edges must be considered and protections supplied to avoid damages.

They are said quite lighter than current grommets and slings made of plastic fibers.

From manila ropes (when wet they were a nightmare to handle) and steel wires, until these days, as Virginia Slims used to say, we have come a long way...

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Alternative Motto: Tempora aptari decet.

• Translation: Times should be adapted to.
  • English equivalent: Take things as you find them.
  • "We should not plan and then try to make circumstances fit those plans. Instead we should make plans fit the circumstances."

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I'm looking to possibly semi retire in June instead of fully retire, simply put if I'm able to work 4 hrs a day instead of full time I loose my health benefits at the Uni. What are the conditions to receive Medicare at my age 63 in March, am I to young still and have to wait till I'm 65?

kv

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
What are the conditions to receive Medicare at my age 63 in March, am I to young still and have to wait till I'm 65?
Medicare is age 65 so unless you are disabled and maybe qualify for Medicaid you are looking at paying for your health insurance. When I retired I had turned 63 in February. I retired at age 63 in May and took COBRA which was expensive but we had money set aside for. COBRA has an 18 month limit leaving me with three months to cover so I just took a 4 month policy for catastrophic illness through State Farm Insurance.

Sure as heck I get a letter from the IRS under the ACA (Affordable Care Act) requiring me to show proof of insurance during those last 3 months between my COBRA running out and my Medicare starting.

Finally Medicare is no great savior. My wife and I have Medicare deducted from our Social Security and additionally pay about $350 a month for our supplemental health insurance.

I know guys who continued to work just for the medical benefits.

Ron

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Figures I won't fully plan on collecting my Social Security until age 69 or 70 to maximize my earnings. So, maybe I'll have to get insurance from the company I work for in the future, health benefits are a big concern for me and my wife.

kv

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
So, maybe I'll have to get insurance from the company I work for in the future, health benefits are a big concern for me and my wife.
Health insurance is a big concern for a lot of people who have to buy it on their own. My Market Place plan went up 40% this year. My Daughter, who is still living at home, started working and her income is counted as part of the household income, so we lost part of our subsidy. That resulted in the cost of our insurance doubling. Will most likely drop to a lower level coverage again...

For the last few years I was able to work, I was on a high deductible plan and the company paid 100% of my premium.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Over here (UK) we moan about about our National Health Service but, reading these messages here, reminds me that we don't have those problems. Whatever happens the NHS is there to pick up the pieces, free at the point of use.