weekend teenager question

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
A slightly fun question
asked by one of the teenage students,

"If I heat soup, I get concentrated soup, I can re hydrate with water to get back to soup.
If I heat water, water evaporates. If I add water back, am I re hydrating the concentrated water ?"

Uhm,
English is a great language,

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
I love the Di Hydrogen Monoxide quote,

The follow on question when I said no was

How to prove that de hydrated water doe snot exist
Dont you love teenagers

Im awaiting there response on " scientific method"

To be fair,
at least they are thinking,
a lot we see just "regurgitate notes"...

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
To be fair,
at least they are thinking,
a lot we see just "regurgitate notes"...
Thinking is good but just a little bit of experience is so, so, so much better. Too bad the homeowners/tax payers have cut school funding to such a degree that Home Economics and Chemistry classes are theoretical and don't include laboratory experiences where sone of these students could actually experience the boiling of water, the depletion of liquid, the creation of vapor above the vessel, ... If they did experience and not just imagine, this question wouldn't have occurred to them, unless they had a twisted sense of humor like Steven Wright (see above). Unfortunately, some of our teenagers are mystified by evaporating water and confused by Steven Wright's joke instead of laughing at it.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Not to be more serious than the question but…

The reason it is possible to “rehydrate” soup is because the soup is something plus water.
The reason you can’t rehydrate water is because dehydrating water is simply removing it.

The “dehydration” in the second case is not of the water, it is of the container that is holding the water.
You can “rehydrate“ the container, but the word would only make sense if it is a container that is expected to have water in it.

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021

The reason it is possible to “rehydrate” soup is because the soup is something plus water.
The reason you can’t rehydrate water is because dehydrating water is simply removing it.

The “dehydration” in the second case is not of the water, it is of the container that is holding the water.
You can “rehydrate“ the container, but the word would only make sense if it is a container that is expected to have water in it.
They came back with something like

"how do you know its water coming off the soup"
which was good as it got us into "condensate"

Aim for next week is to get them to think about evaporate and condense
measure weight of the soup , and the hot soup plus condensate ,
.. we shall see how it goes,

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010

Ok, don’t hold me responsibly for this but, I was Teased by Deviation.

The Container, isn’t yet empty only absent “heat” latent heat will exhibit to some degree moisture content, providing the dew point shows content.

Maybe the expected has water in it, to the naked eye. I’m no where serious about this comment either, just bored. lol

kv

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
They came back with something like

"how do you know its water coming off the soup"
which was good as it got us into "condensate"

Aim for next week is to get them to think about evaporate and condense
measure weight of the soup , and the hot soup plus condensate ,
.. we shall see how it goes,
“But you are the one who said it was water otherwise “rehydrate” which mean to replace water wouldn’t make sense.”