We Are All Born Geniuses

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
He makes at least one point, which I agree with mostly. But I am sure that some people are born stupid. I have seen them. I have dealt with them. I cannot entertain the idea that they were born geniuses. If that were true, there would have to have been some brain trauma along the way.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
But I am sure that some people are born stupid. I have seen them. I have dealt with them.
Yeah, that's the problem with working in customer service..... I dealt with them too.

I used to laugh when I heard instructors say:

There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Yes, there is. I heard them every day.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Complete BS. That's like saying we are all born tall, or good looking, or athletic.

Each of us is born with a vastly different genetic makeup. Those different genes give us all different characteristics, different strengths and weaknesses.

Most people are born with the genes to have average IQ the same way most people are born with the genes to have average height. Then a smaller percentage of people have genes for exception, either + or - the bell curve.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I was born with a very high I.Q..

Then, I discovered girls....and got married a few times.:mad:

Makes you just a shell of a man!;):D:cool:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I tend to agree that we are all somewhere in the bell.

However, I recurrently see that young kids, LOTS of them, are able to sing in tune. Why then, MOST of them loose that ability in few years? Haven't anyone realized that?

Why we stop being "little scientists"? Maybe not the crushing of any school or teaching system but a personal threshold which somehow marks if we still want to go any further in a certain subject.

I think of me as a curious / inquisitive guy, maybe-just-a-little above the average.

Few weeks ago I had to inspect a shore crane used to discharge iron ore/coal from barges / vessels installed in the port of the world I went alongside more frequently in my life.

When I went up there to inspect the damages, at about 40 m above the pier level I had the chance to see for the first time in 35++ years the ore stockpile and the conveyor system running for almost 1,5 Km. Let's say, something that you cannot ignore. An impressive view.

That simple experience got me thinking: why in all that time I never was interested to peek there considering that the are ladders every 100 meters that I could have climbed to have a look at no more than 6 m above the pier level?

But I was insisting on visiting the mill and tried to go inside of many places if friendly people allowed to.

Talking about being intelligent or not should always start with a definition of what intelligence is. That would probably yield a huge varied list of definitions.

The prevailing attitude is to start talking about IQ. I do not agree that it is the way, just one of so many. What the eventual ability to make abstractions needed, say like for the cords theory, has to do with a guy able to compete in an dangerous rafting course or a painter when creating a masterpiece?

What, now that I think of it, is none of what I am good at. :eek: And yes, in around an hour I have to clean my bench.

Last edited:

monster_catfish

Joined Mar 17, 2011
If the ability to apply genius-level intelligence can be likened to the operation of an automobile engine, then for every finely tuned Ferrari, Merc or Porche power-plant off the assembly line, the Great Engineer in the Sky for some reason also created 20 million smoking, mis-firing Ford Pinto engines.

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
Remember the old story about the guy that was changing a flat tire next next to the fence of a mental institution...
A patient walked up to the fence just about the time the guy (to his dismay) dropped all of the lug nuts down a storm drain...
The patient said...Why dont you take a nut off each wheel and use it on the tire your changing....
They guy ..said....Man, that's a great idea....what are you doing in there..?
Reply....Hey, I crazy ..not stupid...