Warning: Enter at your own risk

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I think we need a safety sub-forum for all those inquisitives who want to know what you can touch without killing yourself.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It's a tough topic, though. Any advice that isn't local code is problematic, and so it would devolve into citing NEC and such over and over.

Collecting ideas on safe practices (eg. unplug the damn dryer before sticking your arm into it) could be useful but unless it gets compiled into a sticky, no one will take the time to read it.

A thread on safety failures might be interesting.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
How many people read those?
Respectfully sir.No one! Because of individuals like yourself. I say that in the best possible way, all of you heavy hitters on this site have saved many lives this is truly a community, just raising this subject shows how adamant you are about the safety of human beings it's all really kind of disgusting I say that in jest cuz I aspire to such things.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
One thing to consider, queries like, "If I touch or do <whatever>, will it kill me," are often low count posters who don't return. Maybe they followed the advice. Then again, maybe they didn't. Which is worse? ;)

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Respectfully sir.No one! Because of individuals like yourself. I say that in the best possible way, all of you heavy hitters on this site have saved many lives this is truly a community, just raising this subject shows how adamant you are about the safety of human beings it's all really kind of disgusting I say that in jest cuz I aspire to such things.
Not sure if you just complimented me or tore me a new one? But there are so many "stickies" that people new to this and every other site completely miss, you can tell by the questions. That was my meaning for what I said.
Also the stickies don't even show unless you open the individual forums.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I have come to the conclusion that you can't save people from themselves which runs with leading a horse to water but you can't make them drink. I guess a safety sub forum could be created but what we would likely end up doing is linking to it because most visitors would not take the time to read it prior to posting.

Ron

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

As for safety and the User Agreement, there is this written:
  • Restricted topics. The following topics are considered "out of bounds" and will result in your thread being closed without question:
    • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
    • Jammers intended for actual use in other than legal academic contexts
    • Amateur/homemade rail guns and other high-energy projectile devices
  • If You come across a thread or post discussing any of the above topics please report the thread so We can close, and if necessary remove, the offending thread/posts.
  • Safety & Closing of Threads. While everyone is responsible for their own safety, the moderating staff, on a case by case basis, will close discussions if they get the impression that one of the members appears unwilling or unable to appreciate the risks in what they are attempting.

If the safety gets out of hand, you can report the thread and we will see if it needs to be closed.

Bertus

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
My point is that such threads as, "If I touch the neutral will it kill me," "Will 24V kill me," and so forth are best left to the TS to answer for themselves. They go nowhere.

How can anyone actually answer either or similar questions accurately? If in doubt, the questioner should ask a local expert or their own physician. More likely, they just seem like trolling.