Wanting to fix a volume control (Potentiometer)

Corey497

Joined Mar 22, 2018
Hello.
Im looking to fix a volume control for my computers surround sound. Its scratchy and wore out. I know how to solder, I know the part I need is a potentiometer. I don't exactly know how to use a voltmeter or where to find this part. From the research I did I measured a 5.3 on the voltmeter set to 20K which im assuming means 53K. But there is no 53k the closest is 50k. I can only measure it one way but the result is a negative number so i'm not sure if that means its linear or not. I do have a ebay account so I could buy the part I need, I just need some kind of guidance on where to find this piece. I've included some pictures so I can help you help me...
Thank You!
20180322_140245.jpg 20180322_133948.jpg 20180322_134024.jpg 20180322_134110.jpg 20180322_140147.jpg 20180322_140210.jpg

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
From the research I did I measured a 5.3 on the voltmeter set to 20K which im assuming means 53K.
That would be 5.3K not 53K. If it was 53K the reading would show infinite on the 20K scale. Most likely it's a 5K pot. If you can't find a value stamped on it somewhere the only way to be sure is to remove it and re-measure.
SG

hrs

Joined Jun 13, 2014
It does look like R6 is wired across the middle and one of the outer terminals, which could affect the reading depending the position of the pot.

Corey497

Joined Mar 22, 2018
THANK YOU FOR THE REPLIES!
Ok, so it is a 5k not a 50k.. Got it.. and find some contact cleaner to see if it cures it first.
What about the design?
All I can find is the round type, not the square type thats on this board. The ones I've seen looked like if I folded the legs down to solder them to the board they won't be long enough. I'm just going to guess this its a Logitech part only which isn't available. I think that if I pull the square cover off it will look like the round ones im seeing.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
The ones I've seen looked like if I folded the legs down to solder them to the board they won't be long enough
I said it's probably a 5K pot. You need to remove the pot and measure again. As far as the pot you described above you can just add some wire between the board and pot.
SG

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Have you tried cleaning it with contact/pot cleaner?
That may be all it needs.
Haven't had good luck using contact cleaner on that type. The one I tried it on the internal plastic was melted by the contact cleaner, and stopped the pot from working altogether. It did cure the scratchiness though.:) Was using CRC brand cleaner.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The stuff to use would never be contact cleaner, but rather the stuff that used to be called "tuner cleaner" or even "control cleaner" Or, I have used denatured alcohol in a lot of cases. It may also be possible to exchange the scratchy volume control with one of the tone control devices if they are the same resistance. That would solve the part availability problem if you seldom adjust the tone control. A really cheap fix!