Wanna see something cool #2

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I think when you're holding the top the spring (slinky) is under tension. When you release the slinky the tension recoils the spring. The acceleration of the top versus the lack of acceleration at the bottom is a function of the center of gravity or center of energy or - - - . The guy demonstrated a few different types and the all seem to be suspended at the bottom, motionless.

Now I want a Slinky.

Y'know, people are like slinkies. Not much practical use but they sure are fun when you push them down the stairs.

ZCochran98

Joined Jul 24, 2018
Without watching the video first, looks vaguely like a Hall effect thruster (link). Neat ideas, and have actually been used on real rockets/probes, though they don't generally create much thrust for the amount of power it takes to use one so they're usually reserved for when the probe has left our atmosphere.

ZCochran98

Joined Jul 24, 2018
Hope you gave the video a watch. Answers the question about feasibility in space to use ion thrust. Spaceship will need to carry a fuel source for the ions to push off of.
Fear not! I eventually got around to watching it. A number of years ago I built a very crude one of these by "accident" (playing with a flyback transformer from an cannibalized CRT to generate >60kV sparks for a plasma speaker, as any reasonable person does in their spare time). Wasn't nearly as sophisticated - I spent a bit of time blowing pieces of paper around my workspace with the ion winds. Later in the project I melted an unreasonable amount of wire (turns out, plasma's hot!) until I found some of an appropriate gauge. Also discovered the hard way that the bright purple coloration of the plasma was due to ionization of nitrogen, which generates moderate quantities of UV.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009