Wanna help me understand the treadmill DC motor controller?

muszyngr

Joined Feb 11, 2022
hi there I am learning about motors, and I recently discovered much to my surprise that the 120 volt power cord on a home use treadmill leads to a DC motor, I recently picked up this Sears and Roebuck US made beauty, model # 831.297051 with a 1.5 horse power 100 volt DC motor, and my question is:

Can we use the small Motor Controller board in it and connect it directly to a DC battery pack and omit the larger circuit board and AC power all together, I am trying to do this just for learning purposes but if we were to think in terms of practical applications then maybe an electric go cart for kids

I am a total newb so please be gentle, and I really would appreciate your help

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Being a DC motor, it can run on any kind of DC source, providing the capacity of the supply is sufficient to provide the current of the motor
Your automotive battery will run it a a couple of 100 rpm.
Most remove the flywheel for other applications..

muszyngr

Joined Feb 11, 2022
Being a DC motor, it can run on any kind of DC source, providing the capacity of the supply is sufficient to provide the current of the motor
Your automotive battery will run it a a couple of 100 rpm.
Most remove the flywheel for other applications..
thank you now to figure out if the little controller card can be used with a DC source to control the speed

that black wire over the paper towel runs to the two transformers which appear to be daisy chained in series and then connect to the motor

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The only thing I can think is someone added them as series chokes in order to remove spikes etc on the motor DC , especially as the controller appears to be the typical SCR bridge version.
This set up cannot be used on DC as it relies on phase angle control of the AC.