Walking; just walking seems good enough.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Recently graduated as a proud patient with diabetes level II, I was asked by the attending professional to "walk at least ten blocks every day".

It took me more than two months to actually start going out for walking every day (no jogging, galloping, trotting or whatever, just walking).

Started on January 25th and in one week I reached my current mark: 42 blocks a day (about 4 Km), except if it rains. Every single day that takes me around 50 minutes to be back at home.

I did not change anything else; I still have my breakfast and dinner as usual an keep having my two expresos as before.

One week ago I noticed that I reached the minimum of my belt and to a certain point I seem to float inside my pants.

First time I feel satisfied with such a simple thing that seems to work.

Sorry but no interest in sharing suggestions on diet or step counting technologies. Too late to trying to emulate Abebe Bikila.

I feel OK. That's the point

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
I stated walking when I found I was having pain in my hips going up stairs. That was more than a decade ago, still doing it. Did 2.6 miles today.

You will undoubtedly feel better if you keep this up.

Bob
The best physiotherapy is regular exercise. I severely injured my shoulder and lower back some years ago. As expected, my body wanted to heal in the busted position laying in bed but I didn't let that happen. It took a while to dial into what my body was telling me and I realized the only way to return to normal was to force myself to do so with much pain and discomfort. Little by little my posture improved and so actions became normal again. Indeed returning to a normal body state is an enlightening feeling that most take for granted. Plus self pity never did anyone any good..

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Good to know that you're enjoying your walk. Btw, how are you keeping the count? Smart watch?
Since the walking is done around a perfectly square square, I count just laps by materializing the quantity with my fingers at the start of each one.

Today, my total was 50 blocks.

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
Since the walking is done around a perfectly square square, I count just laps by materializing the quantity with my fingers at the start of each one.

Today, my total was 50 blocks.
How far is a block? 'Maps Ruler' is a nice app you might enjoy. I've used it countless times to plan and review routes. Pretty nifty.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
I am 76 years old and am healthy and active. My weight, pants and belt sizes have been the same for 60 years.
I outlived many friends who did no exercise and ate and smoked too much.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
How far is a block? 'Maps Ruler' is a nice app you might enjoy. I've used it countless times to plan and review routes. Pretty nifty.
At school, we learnt it used to be 1 cuadra = 129 m (IIRC inherited from some common units used in the colonia times).

In a pinch, we use =100m

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
I am sure walking is good for people who can do it, that’s just not me. Fortunately I had started riding a bicycle in my early days. And I still do it now that I just turned 70. Despite the dangers from the increasingly rude drivers, I still do it almost every day for a couple hours. As I have aged I have adjusted my rides and am still pretty comfortable. I think the main thing is just to get up and go.