VR in classrooms and mainstream education

marcuskeene

Joined Oct 15, 2018
VR is progressively being introduced to new industries. Education is at the forefront and set to be revolutionized with VR's introduction.
Immersive learning is the new term coined for learning with VR in classrooms. Its said to bring interaction and multiple applications to benefit pupils not only in regular learning but also in sports.

What is your take on this? Should it be promoted? Do you think its going to be a good change especially for kids who want to pursue a course that is not available with the local institutions and VR gives them an opportunity through distance learning?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
VR has been in use for ages, e.g. for medical and flight simulators and gaming.
Too much gaming is unhealthy, mentally and physically, for kids. They need to get off their devices/gadgets and interact with the real world instead.

marcuskeene

Joined Oct 15, 2018
VR has been in use for ages, e.g. for medical and flight simulators and gaming.
Too much gaming is unhealthy, mentally and physically, for kids. They need to get off their devices/gadgets and interact with the real world instead.
Well by that logic, every technology has some drawback. Do we discourage using them?
Nobody is replacing the real world interactions and communication. Its a part of how we live in a society, it will always be, no matter how much we advance.
But if a brilliant student in some remote location benefits from the tech and gets to pursue a course of their choice, I think this is 'progress', and we must support it.

We can forever argue what's wrong with the technology and over usage but if its practical and helpful, we must encourage it.

I believe it is a great concept, but for the time being the tech specs aren't good enough and the price is too high to make it a mainstream schooling item. I can easily believe it will become one in time, however for the time being it will remain on many schools wish list. I do not disagree that it has incredible potential in the education of adults and children alike, and I do hope it succeeds, but we will have to wait and see!

iou2

Joined Nov 12, 2018
I think VR will open a new door in education in time, but it isn't ready to happen yet. Give it some time, some more funding and some major interested parties and it will definitely be on the right track!

mattdevon

Joined Nov 19, 2018
VR is progressively being introduced to new industries. Education is at the forefront and set to be revolutionized with VR's introduction.
Immersive learning is the new term coined for learning with VR in classrooms. Its said to bring interaction and multiple applications to benefit pupils not only in regular learning but also in sports.

What is your take on this? Should it be promoted? Do you think its going to be a good change especially for kids who want to pursue a course that is not available with the local institutions and VR gives them an opportunity through distance learning?
I think there is a lot of potential in the VR sector and more and more fields such: education, construction, medicine, etc. will benefit from it. VR is a good thing if not over used. Even though we hate it, we have to admit that in the future we will see less and less people on the streets walking and talking, socializing or just having fun. The really fast development of new tech everyday is overwhelming for people and it kind of makes them want to try this and that and that and the other one without looking how much time they actually spent in front of a TV or computer.
So, as much as we can benefit from all the VR features, i strongly think that at some point it will ruin people lives due to the fact that we will become friends in the virtual world and "feed our soul" in a virtual way and keep our physical body only for sleeping and eating.

marcuskeene

Joined Oct 15, 2018
I think there is a lot of potential in the VR sector and more and more fields such: education, construction, medicine, etc. will benefit from it. VR is a good thing if not over used. Even though we hate it, we have to admit that in the future we will see less and less people on the streets walking and talking, socializing or just having fun. The really fast development of new tech everyday is overwhelming for people and it kind of makes them want to try this and that and that and the other one without looking how much time they actually spent in front of a TV or computer.
So, as much as we can benefit from all the VR features, i strongly think that at some point it will ruin people lives due to the fact that we will become friends in the virtual world and "feed our soul" in a virtual way and keep our physical body only for sleeping and eating.
With every revolution comes its share of downsides too. The world would be an ideal place to survive but too monotonous without challenges.
I think, the drifting apart from real life has been happening ever since the computer and internet entered our households and mobile phones became a necessity.
The future belongs to the tech. We cant ignore and or disapprove of it, no matter how much we want.

marcuskeene

Joined Oct 15, 2018
VR is a good thing if not over used. So, as much as we can benefit from all the VR features, i strongly think that at some point it will ruin people lives due to the fact that we will become friends in the virtual world and "feed our soul" in a virtual way and keep our physical body only for sleeping and eating.
The implications must be considered, I agree but it shouldn't be a roadblock for progress. A feature that may look apprehensive in one industry might be really useful in another one. We often talk about surveillance and how its putting us under radar and making us slaves but these features may help reducing crime and may bring down the criminal offenses.
Its just about making the right choices. Technology has features, how we implement these features, labels it as good or bad.

mattdevon

Joined Nov 19, 2018
The implications must be considered, I agree but it shouldn't be a roadblock for progress. A feature that may look apprehensive in one industry might be really useful in another one. We often talk about surveillance and how its putting us under radar and making us slaves but these features may help reducing crime and may bring down the criminal offenses.
Its just about making the right choices. Technology has features, how we implement these features, labels it as good or bad.
What I fear about technology is that will basically remove the words "rational" an "social" that come before "animal"..
Because, we are rational and social animals that can only survive if talked to, emphases with and stimulated. If tech will "eat" more from our daily routine.. we will become useless and that's something people fear about.. Some might hope for a life of doing nothing.. but others are driven by "today's another day to save lives". If you get my point.. :)

marcuskeene

Joined Oct 15, 2018
What I fear about technology is that will basically remove the words "rational" an "social" that come before "animal"..
Because, we are rational and social animals that can only survive if talked to, emphases with and stimulated. If tech will "eat" more from our daily routine.. we will become useless and that's something people fear about.. Some might hope for a life of doing nothing.. but others are driven by "today's another day to save lives". If you get my point.. :)
Yeah, most of those resisting the advancements think it would be used 'against' humanity, however, tech has been helping us evolve ever since we exist. The promises/pros outweigh the negatives and not that we can't fix the cons along the way. Society thrives with both the negative and positive, without either of them things would be too monotonous to drive us. Just a personal opinion.

mattdevon

Joined Nov 19, 2018
tech has been helping us evolve ever since we exist.
I agree on that. Technology is indeed helping humanity evolve but in order to achieve or to develop technology that helps people, one must use natural resources which, at one point, will no longer exist. So what then? What happens when the Earth will be resource less and technology can not be developed?
I think that's also a side of technology that nobody thinks of and that will as well "eat" from our future.

marcuskeene

Joined Oct 15, 2018
I agree on that. Technology is indeed helping humanity evolve but in order to achieve or to develop technology that helps people, one must use natural resources which, at one point, will no longer exist. So what then? What happens when the Earth will be resource less and technology can not be developed?
I think that's also a side of technology that nobody thinks of and that will as well "eat" from our future.
Good point and I agree we need natural resources but are we using it diligently? The issue with depleting resources isn't that it's limited. The problem is that we are not using it responsibly. A majority of issues are due to our negligence and not because technology made us consume it all.
Maybe one day (if we develop meaningful tech) technology helps us find renewable resources and let us replenish what's lost.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Good point and I agree we need natural resources but are we using it diligently? The issue with depleting resources isn't that it's limited. The problem is that we are not using it responsibly. A majority of issues are due to our negligence and not because technology made us consume it all.
Maybe one day (if we develop meaningful tech) technology helps us find renewable resources and let us replenish what's lost.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/arstech...etition-brine-in-chiles-atacama-desert/?amp=1

This is for lithium batteries... To feed our technology. So are we not using it dilligently or is technology making us do it? The drive for batteries is a direct result of technology growth, no? What is powering what?

To me, in reality, it is driven by politics and market manipulation. This is for electic vehicles. I work in a hospital and know the weakness of the batteries as well as the impact on environment. But majority of the people do not. Someone is making a lot of money. It will be a lot of fun when VR comes on line and no one can tell truth from fiction anymore. It is hard enough already. But I suppose in many ways life will be much easier, maybe that is the utopia...

marcuskeene

Joined Oct 15, 2018
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/10/lithium-giants-feud-over-competition-brine-in-chiles-atacama-desert/?amp=1

This is for lithium batteries... To feed our technology. So are we not using it dilligently or is technology making us do it? The drive for batteries is a direct result of technology growth, no? What is powering what?

To me, in reality, it is driven by politics and market manipulation. This is for electic vehicles. I work in a hospital and know the weakness of the batteries as well as the impact on environment. But majority of the people do not. Someone is making a lot of money. It will be a lot of fun when VR comes on line and no one can tell truth from fiction anymore. It is hard enough already. But I suppose in many ways life will be much easier, maybe that is the utopia...
Well, I can't say I don't agree with you. The point I was trying to make was against the common notion that nothing could be done to make it better. I always think, 'who is stopping us from making good efforts?'. The answer to this is simple, we ourselves.
Clean/Green technologies aren't an illusion, they exist but need diligent efforts. Also, to some they cut down their profits and efficiency a little. That's what keeps them not consider it. As far as negative implications of VR are concerned, I would choose to overlook the bad for good ones.

CarExtreme

Joined Oct 12, 2018
I think VR in classrooms are a good idea. And I think some schools in the US now are already adding VR suites to their facilities. I think VR can enhance learning in so many ways and I honestly think I would have done better in history if it was taught in VR. :) Can you imagine studying world history through VR? That’s an entertaining way to learn, for sure.

mattdevon

Joined Nov 19, 2018
Hmm, i see your point.
I do hope that in the future people will start using the "last juice" our planet has in smarter ways.
Tech might only offer us a better place to live.. renewable resources.. hmm.. i think humans can finish those too. :D:D

marcuskeene

Joined Oct 15, 2018
Hmm, i see your point.
I do hope that in the future people will start using the "last juice" our planet has in smarter ways.
Tech might only offer us a better place to live.. renewable resources.. hmm.. i think humans can finish those too. :D:D
Yeah, no doubt, we will for sure, if nothing concrete is done. By concrete I am by no means suggesting replenishing by the way. Humans won't be able to do that. I like the idea of offering a better place to live, though. What do you think is the most practical way to escape all this chaos?

marcuskeene

Joined Oct 15, 2018
I think VR in classrooms are a good idea. And I think some schools in the US now are already adding VR suites to their facilities. I think VR can enhance learning in so many ways and I honestly think I would have done better in history if it was taught in VR. :) Can you imagine studying world history through VR? That’s an entertaining way to learn, for sure.
I read an article about Japan recreating Hisroshima attack using VR to make users feel what actually would have happened. Its a great way to learn history indeed, I mean we only crammed and forgot it even sooner. But with something as impactful as VR, the students (audience) will surely learn and remember it for a long time. These are some practical uses and I do look forward to VR making a strong hold in education.

CarExtreme

Joined Oct 12, 2018
I read an article about Japan recreating Hisroshima attack using VR to make users feel what actually would have happened. Its a great way to learn history indeed, I mean we only crammed and forgot it even sooner. But with something as impactful as VR, the students (audience) will surely learn and remember it for a long time. These are some practical uses and I do look forward to VR making a strong hold in education.
And who knows? Maybe in the future, classrooms will be virtual as well. If content and hardware improves, this could be possible don’t you think? Education can be available to everyone then.

CarExtreme

Joined Oct 12, 2018
Hmm, i see your point.
So what you’re suggesting is that VR could eventually replace our world? Interesting. I actually came across a start-up exploring VR tech to do exactly that. Some form of virtual eternity, I believe. Quite intriguing, actually. Do you think the tech will be powerful enough to save the planet?