Vortex air flow meters for cars

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
Does anyone have any circuits for vortex flow meters (MAF sensor) as used in cars. I have one which had an intermittent problem with bad resistor solder joint.
With a bit of good fortune I managed to track it down and fixed it, but I would like to have some sort of generic circuit so i can see how they work.They do seem to be quite complicated to repair without schematics.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
What car is this that uses a vortex flow meter as a MAF? Every MAF I've seen is a hot wire type. Measuring the current that it takes to keep the wire at a certain temperature, thus giving the amount of air flowing over it.

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
Yes debe, its a Mitsubishi Magna! And it is a vortex flow meter used. I am aware of the basics of the different types used, I just wanted to see if anyone had a schematic of the actual electronics of the type used by mitsubishi, as a matter of interest.
We do like to have more sophisticated stuff here in OZ, Shortbus!:)

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
We do like to have more sophisticated stuff here in OZ, Shortbus!:)
And we in the States did away with them because of their unreliability and cost compared to a hot wire MAF. In the early days they were used but not now, that's why I asked what car, thought you were restoring something. :)