Voltage drop compensation

Hariharan Gunasekar

Joined Sep 20, 2016
Hello,
I have a bus which provides constant voltage of 30v from solar panel (there is also a battery connected to the bus which is capable of providing 30v). For eg: if there is a drop of 5v in the bus, how do i design a circuit without using a micro controller to compensate the voltage drop and make the bus voltage as constant 30v that is the 5v drop is compensated from the battery. How do i communicate with the battery letting it know that there is a drop of 5v and it should provide 5v to the bus to compensate the drop.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A 5v drop is very large for a 30V bus. Typically you would want less than a volt drop under load.
Sounds like you need larger wire for the bus.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So do you still want to use the 25V from the solar panel to provide power?
If so then you could use a boost switching regulator to increase the panel voltage from 25V to 30V.

Otherwise you just use a voltage comparator to control a relay to switch from the panel to the battery.

Hariharan Gunasekar

Joined Sep 20, 2016
So do you still want to use the 25V from the solar panel to provide power?
If so then you could use a boost switching regulator to increase the panel voltage from 25V to 30V.

Otherwise you just use a voltage comparator to control a relay to switch from the panel to the battery.
I will try doing that.

Thanks for your time :)