Voltage, current rating of Panel Mount Switch

Keerthi_EDE

Joined Sep 21, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to use a Round shaped switch (SPST or DPDT or SPDT) rated >= 48V DC, 4A (max). But, I could not find round, illuminated and latched switches for this voltage and current rating.

I found some switches from "Wurth Electronik" with manufacturer part number 471002268142. But it is rated at 28V DC, 10A. Can I use this switch for 48VDC, 3.5A application?
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rocker-switches/1854299/

I am relatively very new to electronics. Please excuse me for silly questions/terminology.

Thanks a lot in Advance.

Regards,
Keerthi

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
Could you use a round illuminated switch to operate a relay instead? I'm sure you'll find it easier to source those.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
I found some switches from "Wurth Electronik" with manufacturer part number 471002268142. But it is rated at 28V DC, 10A. Can I use this switch for 48VDC, 3.5A application?
There's a reason why manufacturers specify parameters and unless you think you know more then them, you're supposed to follow their recommendations.

Depending on your application, you can use the switch to control a MOSFET, solid state relay, or mechanical relay.

Keerthi_EDE

Joined Sep 21, 2020
Welcome to AAC!

There's a reason why manufacturers specify parameters and unless you think you know more then them, you're supposed to follow their recommendations.

Depending on your application, you can use the switch to control a MOSFET, solid state relay, or mechanical relay.
Thank you for the reply. I am looking for a panel mount switch which should be operated manually. I would be looking for a better switch then.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There are many industrial sources of panel mount switches from such as Group Shneider, Idec and many others, in some instances you can make up the switch functions as add ons to stack or select N.O. - N.C. etc.
You can obtain these in different colours, some with illuminated lenses and opaque fronts where legends can be custom made at will very easily.
If you want quality, look at the Industrial selection also probabally available at you local electrical suppliers.
Max.

Keerthi_EDE

Joined Sep 21, 2020
Hi All,

Thank you for providing me the information.

I was looking to use the switch mentioned in the below link for 48V, 4A DC application.
https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/w-rth-elektronik/471002268142/732-13674-ND/9950821

But according to the datasheet, the switch is recommended to use for 28V,10A DC applications. Post my discussion with the manufacturer, they have confirmed me that I can use the switch mentioned above for 48V, 4A DC application. Life cycle test (10,000 cycles) has been performed on the switch while drawing maximum 4A current, when 48V is applied. And the test result is 'PASS'.

Regards,
Keerthi

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
The main reason why you don't want to use a switch that is designed for a lower voltage is due to the possibility of them shorting across their switching mechanism. While it's hard to get my head around a switch rated for 28V arcing at 48V, it IS possible. And suppose for a moment that this switch is operating something that could present a hazard should it activate uncontrollably. It could result in an injury if a system suddenly came on when undergoing routine maintenance. It's easier to see the danger when working with large machinery and switches that operate at much higher voltages.

The point is that there is a certain separation between conductors that may not be rated for higher voltages. Amperage is the second consideration. A switch that can not withstand the amount of current passing through them could melt and possibly start a fire or the contacts could weld together thus rendering the switch forever stuck in the ON position. Imagine the danger of a machine that can not be controlled. IF the switch fails in the open position - that presents far less danger than a switch that fails in the closed position. I had such a failure with a table saw. I had to hit the breaker to shut the saw off, which meant leaving the machine running unattended. A truly dangerous situation.

Are you HELD to round? Can Rectangular be substituted?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Inasmuch, what diameter switch are you looking for? That's another critical part of searching. I can find a round switch, but it might be too large for your application.