Voltage controlled PWM, is there a way ??

acelee27

Joined Jan 11, 2007
Hi, thanks for any help in advance, much appreciated :)

As part of my project i am trying to control the speed of a 12 volt DC motor (4 amps max) using pulse width modulation. However the PWM device needs to be controlled via a control voltage ( 0-12 DC) that is outputted from a frequency to voltage converter.

I have tried hard to find a ready built PWM device that would fit the bill, however they all seem to be controlled via a potentiometer. Does such a device exist or is there another simple way round it.

Thanks again, for taking the time to read.

acelee27

Joined Jan 11, 2007
The PWM device i have been looking at is from maplin (UK site), the part number is RN41U. Its description is 'Panel Mounted Voltage Regulator Module'

Thanks

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I have viewed the picture at Malpin website.

It is PC board with with a fairly large potentiometer mounted in the middle of it.

Have you considered desoldering the potentiometer leads and injecting your own control signal?

hgmjr

acelee27

Joined Jan 11, 2007
I have not considered that, i assumed that the signal from the F/V converter wouldn't be strong enougth. I could try amplifiing it through a transistor ??. I will try it to see what the outcome is, its all trial and error for me at this point.

Thanks for the help :)

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Yes. You will require a buffer between your control voltage and the PWM module. I was thinking more along the lines of an opamp. Is that something you would entertain?

hgmjr

acelee27

Joined Jan 11, 2007
I have to confess i don't fully understand what an opamp is. I will do some background reading on them to get the basic knowledge. Is there an obvious one you could suggest that i could look into ?

thanks

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
In addition to beenthere's recommendation you can review the AllAboutCircuits' Opamp Tutorial for basic opamp information. The style of presentation in the AAC tutorials is very good as a source of good solid information unencumbered by any complicated math.

You may want to explore some of the other subjects covered.

Remember that the forum members are here to answer any questions that might arise as you read the material.

hgmjr

kender

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Voltage controlled PWM, is there a way ??
Absolutely. Analog PWM predates digital PWM. Analog PWM is a backbone of switching power supplies. There are lots of chips (pin-to-pin compatible even) that internally do the following:

1. Generate saw tooth wave or triangular wave, or something similar.
2. Take an analog voltage and compare it to saw tooth.
3. Output the result of the comparison, which is PWM proportional to the analog voltage from the previous step.

For an example see Texas Instruments TI5001. It's intended to work in a closed loop as a part of a power supply, that's why the analog input pin is called FB (feedback). However, it should work open loop too.

Also, search for "PWM" on DigiKey.

velleman makes a pwm kit that would likely fit the bill. it's rated at 6.5 amps and has a high impediance control voltage terminal that ranges from 0v - 5.1v

just add a voltage divider to your 0-12v output, and it should work perfectly.