Voltage change from 110v to 220v

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi T,
I see only one MOV component, it may only be rated for 110V use, so don't connect it across the 220Vac until you are sure.!
Note also the transformer primary wire colours on the schematic and actual PCB.

E

Techmasteruk

Joined Oct 13, 2016
hi T,
I see only one MOV component, it may only be rated for 110V use, so don't connect it across the 220Vac until you are sure.!
Note also the transformer primary wire colours on the schematic and actual PCB.

E
I believe you’re absolutely right, I would just leave it as it is and use external transformer.

Techmasteruk

Joined Oct 13, 2016
Are not the two big red disks near the link(s) the MOVs?
Each one is connected across one half of the primary so however the link is fitted they will each see 110V.

Was it working correctly on 110V?
Please forgive me I don’t understand what is MOV ! Yes it works fine with 110v

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I have just noticed that the jumper ID's on the board don't match those on the circuit.
Can you measure the resistance between the power input connector pins with the jumper in each of the two positions. The position which gives you the higher resistance will thre 220V position. One jumper position should give you twice the resistance of the other position.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Looks like what might be a slight miss-application of that transformer as it would appear it was originally intended for 110/220 with primaries either series or parallel.
Which is more commonly seen now. :confused:
Also must be an old unit as N.A. power is 120/240 for many years now.
Max.

Techmasteruk

Joined Oct 13, 2016
I have just noticed that the jumper ID's on the board don't match those on the circuit.
Can you measure the resistance between the power input connector pins with the jumper in each of the two positions. The position which gives you the higher resistance will thre 220V position. One jumper position should give you twice the resistance of the other position.
Hi Albert,

I measured resistance on J3 and it’s 111 ohm while on J2 it’s 219 ohm.

Attachments