Voltage amplification

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
Granted antennae have nothing to do with the problem I posed. Sorry for the misdirection.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
An unbypassed emitter resistor for a common-emitter transistor is negative feedback. It reduces the gain and reduces the distortion. The input can have a higher level.

The voltage gain of a transistor is the value of the collector load to the total value of the internal and external emitter resistances.

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
An unbypassed emitter resistor for a common-emitter transistor is negative feedback.
I've read this. I have yet to get back into my old textbook on the subject of feedback, but I sure intend to do so soon. Since taking up my old hobby I feel like I'm always getting bumped back into that text. Believe it or not I used to be pretty good at this. When I took up electronics again I even had to read resistor codes from a chart. But it's coming back.

It reduces the gain and reduces the distortion.
Yes, and it increases stability. The distortion issue I brought up dictates high gain with a single stage if we're amplifying 10 mV to 10 V. On the other hand high gain creates stability problems, right? The circuit, if not built with proper methods might become an oscillator!

The input can have a higher level.
Yes, but I think the increase is not substantial -- from 10 mV peak bypassed to about 20 mV peak partially bypassed. I intend to experiment. I believe gain can be sacrificed for higher input voltage. Gain always gets sacrificed! What a martyr! LOL.

The voltage gain of a transistor is the value of the collector load to the total value of the internal and external emitter resistances.
I realize this. Thanks for your input! ;)