Voice recording/playback module - wiring to play when current is passed through

bunchofapes

Joined Jun 14, 2018
Hello

Would there be a way on the module below to activate the 'PLAYE' button via an external switch

I have read the pins on the sides can be used to add switches etc, but not sure how to add one and what the jumpers on those pins are for..

Im new to anything electronic as you can guess..

any advice greatly appreciated.

bunchofapes

Joined Jun 14, 2018
Hello, thanks for the reply. I'm wanting to use a lightweight switch such as a reed switch

Thanks for the attachment, v useful..

So am I right in thinking a switch is just added to the p-e pins to trigger playe function? What are the jumpers for?

Thanks

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You may want to read the data sheet for your module.

1. VCC– 3.3V power supply
2.GND– Power ground
3. REC – The REC input is an active‐HIGH record signal. The module starts recording whenever REC is HIGH. This pin must remain HIGH for the duration of the recording. REC takes precedence over either playback(PLAYL or PLAYE) signal.
4. PLAYE – Playback, Edge‐activated: When a HIGH‐going transition is detected on continues until an End‐of‐Message (EOM) marker is encountered or the end of the memory space is reached.
5. PLAYL – Playback, Level‐activated, when this input pin level transits for LOW to HIGH, a playback cycle is initiated.
6. Speaker Outputs – The SP+ and SP‐ pins provide direct drive for loudspeakers with impedances as low as 8Ω.
7. MIC – Microphone Input, the microphone input transfers its signals to the on‐chip preamplifier.
8. FT – Feed Through: This mode enable the Microphone to drive the speaker directly.
9. P‐E – Play the records endlessly.

So to answer your question, yes. Using either the PLAYE or PLAYL inputs depending on exactly what you want.

Ron

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It is all explained in the ISD1820 User Guide.

4. PLAYE – Playback, Edge‐activated: When a HIGH‐going transition is detected on continues until an End‐of‐Message (EOM) marker is encountered or the end of the memory space is reached.

5. PLAYL – Playback, Level‐activated, when this input pin level transits for LOW to HIGH, a playback cycle is initiated.

https://www.allelectronics.com/mas_assets/theme/allelectronics/spec/ME-63.pdf

Edit: Gee, I must be slowing down in my old age. Ron beats me to it.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Amazing. All I did was enter ISD1820 into google.
I'm sure that is what Ron did too.
Yeah, it was tough. :)

I just thought they were cheap Chinese things and didn't think they'd have documentation.
I have my distant connection to ISD. In 1988, Richard T Simko of ISD (Information Storage Devices, now Nuvoton), built on the digital floating-gate patents he obtained in 1979 while at Xicor with a patent for high-density-IC analog signal recording and playback (Figure 3). This patent was the basis for Nuvoton’s ChipCorder, an analog IC that records and plays back audio using floating-gate storage techniques. As Simko states in the patent, the device can electronically store analog information with reasonable precision but with substantially less complexity and memory capacity than digital techniques require. With the system, small errors in recording the signal information do not damage the reproduction quality during playback.

I had the pleasure of meeting Richard (Dick) Simko a few times as the last 22 years of my career I had the pleasure of working directly with his brother Daniel a very good and dedicated EE. I remember when Richard sent Dan a module of the very first proto-type chips. Richard was a co-founder of ISD which he later sold to Nuvoton. His fascination with electronics in general began in his early childhood here in Cleveland, Ohio. He is one of the most impressive down to earth people I have ever had the privilege of meeting and I enjoyed over 20 years working with his brother daily. The very first chips for analog storage only afforded about 5 seconds of record time. That concludes my side note. :)

Ron