VisualGDB for Visual Studio

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
I just purchased the VisualGDB Custom Edition and had this install for Visual Studio 2019.

The last time I did any work with this was in Feb when I used the Trial Edition and Visual Studio 2017 to play around with the STM32F769I-DISC0 board with an attached ESP8266, I stopped working on this in mid Feb and have done no work whatsoever with MCUs since then.

The code when I left it ran OK (it doesn't do a huge amount yet) so I was keen to see if this would all work having uninstalled the trial and since upgraded to Visual Studio 2019.

I was quite impressed when I opened the solution, attached the board to my PC and started debugging, it worked exactly as it had in Feb.

This may not sound amazing but I work with software a great deal, lost of technologies and I know how idiosyncratic this stuff can get.

I will testify that VisualGDB really is a first rate product and integrates wonderfully with Visual Studio (developing Visual Studio extensions is an art in itself and these guys have done an excellent and professional job with this).

Here's a screenshot just to let you see how it looks - do note that Visual Studio is one of the most advanced and feature rich development environments for any platform, I doubt many products come close:

VGDB1.gif

Here's a debug session stopped at a breakpoint with the devices registers displayed:

VGDB2.gif

Anyone here who is thinking of getting into programming these devices at quite a low cost is encouraged to try this, the VisualGDB tools work fine with the (free) Visual Studio Community Edition (I'm told).

Last edited:

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
If anyone else will be using VisualGDB then I created a repository in GitHub into which I'll be putting various examples, experiments and so on. I'll strive to avoid force pushing so that you are free to fork if you want to.