Vista Supported Compiler for C/ C++ ?

EnginiusXIII

Joined Oct 2, 2007
Hello,

Currently I'm trying to refresh and advance myself in using C++ after putting it aside for some time. However, I could not figure out the perfect Vista Supported Compiler?

Therefore, could anyone suggest which kind of compiler I should use and its latest version? and make sure that it is Vista Supported. Thank you!:)

There are plenty of compilers for C/C++ that support Windows Vista.
Take an example of VS2005 or the new Orcas. Why not consider the flipside, with Borland Developer Studio 2006 or CodeGear's RAD Studio 2007. They all support vista.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
What do people suggest as being the best 64-bit C++ compiler? We currently have the Borland 32-bit compiler but are finding it a touch restrictive as we move to 64-bit in the lab, and as far as we can see there is not a 64-bit Borland compiler on the horizon (or at least as my colleague suggests).

Dave

Dave might I suggest Visual Studio 2005 or 2008.
As you said lab, your code might be better suited to Intel products.

Zoom past Intel.com and check out their C/C++, FORTRAN compilers.
If anyone can optimize code and create a compiler to target a CPU, it's these guys..

Regards,

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Dave might I suggest Visual Studio 2005 or 2008.
As you said lab, your code might be better suited to Intel products.

Zoom past Intel.com and check out their C/C++, FORTRAN compilers.
If anyone can optimize code and create a compiler to target a CPU, it's these guys..

Regards,
Thanks for the suggestions Dan, I'll have a looking into it and get back with any questions I have. Off the top of my head, we are targeting Intel Xeon 5160 64-bit processors for dev at the moment.

Yeah currently I'm using Visual Studio 2008. It is quite perfect to me who is still a beginner.
Isn't VS2008 still a beta? How stable have you found it?

One of our devs hates VS2005 stating that he find it very unintuitive. When suggested it to address our 64-bit problems he scoffed at me. I think it may be more a case of "stuck-in-his-ways".

Dave

EnginiusXIII

Joined Oct 2, 2007
Isn't VS2008 still a beta? How stable have you found it?

Dave
Well, Dave you see, I'm not that a standard of a high level programmer yet. So I don't think that I can answer you question on how stable the VS2008 is. Since I'm just using it to solve some basic tutorials and so far it didn't really give me problem at all.

So, I guess you just have to try it yourself. Sorry!!

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Have you tried DevC++. It is free, and doesn't need registration or the latest service packages. It compiles using a version of gcc (gpp if you wan't to use C++).

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Well, Dave you see, I'm not that a standard of a high level programmer yet. So I don't think that I can answer you question on how stable the VS2008 is. Since I'm just using it to solve some basic tutorials and so far it didn't really give me problem at all.

So, I guess you just have to try it yourself. Sorry!!
Thanks for the comments. I may have a play around with it to see if it is something we can look at in the future. I am interested in hearing comments people have on VS2008, or any other 64-bit C++ compiler since it is something we are discovering is an obstruction in light of our heavy investment in 64-bit machines in the labs - yes another management disaster is unfolding!!

I think Dave's correct.
VS2008 is still BETA since last time I checked.
Yes I thought so. Probably a role out at a similar time as Windows Server 2008 one might suspect.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Have you tried DevC++. It is free, and doesn't need registration or the latest service packages. It compiles using a version of gcc (gpp if you wan't to use C++).
Unless I'm misreading the developers page, DevC++ doesn't support compilation of 64-bit applications (please correct me if I'm wrong). Also it appears as though further development hasn't occurred for approximately 12 months.

Dave