VIN pin of Lolin NodeMCU

y2jsh

Joined Oct 30, 2019
Can we use the vin pin of the lolin v3 nodeMCU as a 5V supply. If yes, i checked mine with a multimeter. At max, it gives a voltage of 2V. Is my pin blown out? Also, can use the VU pin as a 5V supply? Will using it cause any problems to my laptop's USB port? Can somebody help me out?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It seems unlikely that you can use an input pin as a supply pin. What are you thinking, and why is this important to you?

y2jsh

Joined Oct 30, 2019
It seems unlikely that you can use an input pin as a supply pin. What are you thinking, and why is this important to you?
In the previous versions of the board, the vin pin could be used as a 5V output pin for sensor interface when powered by USB. I read online that the v3 does not have this capability. So I'm confirming if it is correct or not.
In application, i need to drive a 5v relay using the v3 board.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
In the previous versions of the board, the vin pin could be used as a 5V output pin for sensor interface when powered by USB. I read online that the v3 does not have this capability. So I'm confirming if it is correct or not.
In application, i need to drive a 5v relay using the v3 board.
If the v3 (version 3 as opposed to 3 Volts?) can still be powered by USB, then maybe. USB has a 5V power spec for the cable. AFAIK there is no option to run USB at any voltage less than +5V DC. How about links to datasheets for the board and chips. At this point we are only guessing.

Can we use the vin pin of the lolin v3 nodeMCU as a 5V supply. If yes, i checked mine with a multimeter. At max, it gives a voltage of 2V. Is my pin blown out? Also, can use the VU pin as a 5V supply? Will using it cause any problems to my laptop's USB port? Can somebody help me out?
vin in your board is connected to a buck regulator AMS1117 that configured to drop voltage in a certain ratio of voltage. you need a 9v/12v battery to power via VIN else improvise the usb connector that is already provided