[Video] Live Wire Demonstration

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'll admit that one thing that never crossed my mind was someone plugging their home generator into an outlet in their home and backfeeding and energizing the primary, but it sure makes sense. And a 1500 W 120 VAC generator can still deliver a couple hundred milliamps (i.e., a few times the min lethal current) at 7200 V.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I'll admit that one thing that never crossed my mind was someone plugging their home generator into an outlet in their home and backfeeding and energizing the primary, but it sure makes sense. And a 1500 W 120 VAC generator can still deliver a couple hundred milliamps (i.e., a few times the min lethal current) at 7200 V.
Oh yes, this is a terrible problem. People backfeed into receptacles! Not only to the generators explode when power is restored but as shown they energize the low side back through the transformer and put the primary voltage on lines under repair. It has killed people. Really awful.

It is an example of “clever” idiots.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
It is an example of “clever” idiots.
Agreed. People think of how to solve their immediate problem without considering the long range (or long reach) of their actions. I have a neighbor who at one time got so irritated with his "Check Engine Light" that he put a sticker over it. Ignoring the fact that his car was putting out excessive amounts of pollution. I'm glad he doesn't have a generator, otherwise I'm sure he would be just one such person who would back feed the grid without considering the possibility. Boy I could tell you stories of things I've seen him do. And yes, he's 100% bonafide short-sighted.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I'm thinking the line was live.....current flowing, keeping a low potential on line......but not enough current to blow fuse.

Then when he flipped it off, stopping current and gaining back the HV potential.

Poof. Trading current for voltage. Opening up a HV switch.

Edit: sorta like lifting a neutral.

Last edited: