Very basic power supply question

Kara48

Joined May 5, 2010
I will be taking a basic beginners electronics test, and I found a question on the internet that I don't understand. The question is: What size power supply would best be suited for a 12 VDC operation with a 0.2 amp current draw? The answer is 5 watts. How is this calculated?

Kara48

Joined May 5, 2010
I am familiar with OHMS law, but in this problem, E x I = W which calculates as 12 x .2 = 2.4 not the answer of 5 which is the answer stated on the practice test. Maybe the practice test answer is in error? Thanks for your help and input.

CoolBeer

Joined Mar 29, 2010
In my opinion it's a badly formulated question, one could probably make a case for "best" in a economic view or "best" in a reliability view, or any other view for that matter.

God knows how they got the 5W though, unless they are operating with a fixed efficiency ratio *shrug*

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Is there a preface to the question that says use a power supply rated twice your load?

Or is there a multiple choice that said something like:

a) 750mW
b) 5w
c) 925 degrees
d) rice krispies

?

If that was the case, It would be 5.

Kara48

Joined May 5, 2010
Retched: No, there isn't anything written about twice the load. I wrote the problem above as written on the practice test, so I think it is just incorrect after the responses I've received. Thanks for your input!!