Vehicle backup camera

Neil89

Joined Dec 29, 2017
I am wondering what kind of system is a modern back up camera with boundary line that change colors the closer you get? What does it consist of from an engineering point of view. AI ? Machine learning? What does a complete system consist of? What do I need to build one on my own and how can I learn about it , any resources?
Thanks.

Attachments

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
The lines are usually just a fixed distance displayed on a display. This one in your image is same thing but bends when you turn the wheel making it look fancier then it is. A basic system is pretty much just a camera and display.

Parking sensors that will beep or break for you are a different system.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The lines are usually just a fixed distance displayed on a display. This one in your image is same thing but bends when you turn the wheel making it look fancier then it is. A basic system is pretty much just a camera and display
From what I know, the straight line grid type were in use before electric steering came about. The ones that the lines move as you steer are controlled by the electric steering commands/inputs.

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
From what I know, the straight line grid type were in use before electric steering came about. The ones that the lines move as you steer are controlled by the electric steering commands/inputs.
yea no doubt the turning its sensed by the steering module and relayed to the display but its still just a fancy fixed measurement (that now bends the way your turning) . At least my wife's 2020 renegade is like that & the 2020 Tigun she was looking at was the same thing. The back up camera's in those still seem like just basic camera's with the real measurements for self parking or obstacle detection being handled by a complete separate system and different type of sensors around the car. Unless we're talking about 2021+ Tesla's which I know nothing about, I think there was some article about switching away from sensors and going to a camera system but I didn't read it so no clue there.

If OP is just looking for a back up camera then the turning lines are pretty pointless in my opinion and I wouldn't bother with them. Would just stick with a fixed one and its basically just a camera and display. There is nothing fancy to them. If OP is looking for the full works of obstacle detection like blind spot monitor and self breaking I think they need to reword their question a little bit because its not the same thing.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I installed a cheap ebay version on my Olds Aurora, and it just consisted of a camera initiated when the back up lights came on.
Included GPS and other features.
Had the area grid also.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
The video is just that - video. The display has an overlaid set of gridlines handled by microprocessors. Changing colors, warring beeps, bending lines - that's all done by the computer. It's probably an integrated system on a vehicle and I don't know if anyone builds a kit for those who want to add such features to an older car. Cost ? ? ? No clue.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The video is just that - video. The display has an overlaid set of gridlines handled by microprocessors. Changing colors, warring beeps, bending lines - that's all done by the computer. It's probably an integrated system on a vehicle and I don't know if anyone builds a kit for those who want to add such features to an older car. Cost ? ? ? No clue.
I fitted one of the Xgody versions, included GPS, back up camera and a few other features.
~$100.00.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The back up camera's in those still seem like just basic camera's with the real measurements for self parking or obstacle detection being handled by a complete separate system and different type of sensors around the car.
I had a 2018 Equinox and the lease ran out, so I leased a 2021 Buick Encore GX. The Encore has the grid but doesn't have the warning when getting close to something. Or if it does I haven't figured out how to turn it on.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
My Taco (Tacoma) has a backup camera and warning system when I get too close to something. When I'm moving something that requires the tailgate down and I back up I get an annoying signal that I'm too close to (the ground). But there's a button on the dash for detecting objects and their proximity with an audible alert. I can turn that off when I don't want to have the truck screaming at me while I'm backing up the driveway or when I'm backing up a trailer. But the camera is very useful for moving the hitch ball directly under the tongue hitch of the trailer.