Variable speed motor with digital readout

Cagle697

Joined Sep 3, 2020
New to the group, Hoping you guys can help me find what i need.
Im looking for a variable speed electric motor that can range between 300-8,000 rpm roughly (800-3,000 rpm min.)that can be wired to run from common house 120v outlet and would allow me to have a digital rpm readout on it with some kind of knob controller. It doesn't need to be extremely powerful just somewhere around 1 or 2 horse power should be fine for what it'll be used for. also need it to have a shaft hanging out no shorter than 1/2" but preferably 2" hang out from motor. Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help me

mcardoso

Joined May 19, 2020
A router speed controller and a brushed universal motor could be used here. One downside is these motors are loud. Also a sewing machine motor would be good, although I've never seen one that large.

On the industrial side, a small VFD and 3 phase motor would work (this would be what I would do personally), or a small servo if you need 8000rpm.

What is your application?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Another way is a DC Tread Mill motor and controller, local selling sites often have free ones not working, you may get the motor and main board out of, many go this route for 2-3hp projects.
Plugs into 120v.
Max.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Welcome to AAC.

First, a 2 HP motor isn't going to be a small thing. That's a lot of horse power. And if it gets a hold of something it can shred it to pieces. Also, a large motor spinning that fast isn't going to be cheap. I'm not sure, but I think treadmill motors can spin fairly fast and with some considerable power too. Might want to look into that. Or do you already have a motor in mind?

Cagle697

Joined Sep 3, 2020
A router speed controller and a brushed universal motor could be used here. One downside is these motors are loud. Also a sewing machine motor would be good, although I've never seen one that large.

On the industrial side, a small VFD and 3 phase motor would work (this would be what I would do personally), or a small servo if you need 8000rpm.

Im not too worried if the motor is a little on the noisy side sence it wont run that often.
I plan to make an automotive pulley bearing tester/alternator tester using an electric motor

Im not to worried if the motor is a little noisy sence it will be in my garage and not run to often.
I plan to mimic vehicles serpentine belt pulley system to individually check the pulley bearings

Cagle697

Joined Sep 3, 2020
i do like the tread mill idea ,and for the power end im completely unsure just rough guess. The highest friction point would be the roller tensioner but being a bearing i wouldn't think it would need alot of power so maybe more like 1/3hp? Id prefer one that can atleast spin between 500-1500 rpm so i have atleast the common range of vehicle idling speed

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Your OP mentioned 1-2HP?
You may have a problem getting a motor and controller that operates at 120v at 1/3hp.
There is the Universal motor as used in hand tools, but they operate in a runaway condition, rpm limited by load/friction etc.
Max.