Variable resistor separate from control circuit?

biggerB

Joined Oct 4, 2015
Good morning,

I am making a simple AC chopper for a dimmer circuit for a table lamp. It consists of a simple Triac which is fired using a RC circuit with a variable resistor. I've attached the schematic.
ads.png

My problem is that instead of using a potentiometer like in the circuit, I now want to control this circuit using a microcontroller to vary the resistance. The problem is that there is 220vAC flowing through the variable resistor and I obviously have a control signal of 5vDC coming from the microcontroller.

I have controlled AC switches before using DC control circuits by using simple relays which have 2 completely isolated coils. What I'm asking is, is there a similar way to control a variable resistor?

I've been researching photocouplers, looking for a solution. But it seems photocouplers behave similar to relays (in that there are only 2 states, either on or off). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks !

Colin55

Joined Aug 27, 2015
opto couplers will operate with variable resistance as the output if you illuminate the LED inside the opto-coupler with very little current.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You can use MOC optocouplers to drive the triac from the micro.
Use a zero crossing circuit to synchronyze the micro and use a delay for the firing angle.

Bertus

biggerB

Joined Oct 4, 2015
Hello,

You can use MOC optocouplers to drive the triac from the micro.
Use a zero crossing circuit to synchronyze the micro and use a delay for the firing angle.

Bertus
Thankyou, this is what I've settled on doing. I've got a pspice model up and working and hopefully it works just as well when its all assembled !

opto couplers will operate with variable resistance as the output if you illuminate the LED inside the opto-coupler with very little current.
Yes, this was my initial plan aswell. But it turns out that most optocouplers dissipate very small amounts of current and were just impossible for me to implement without burning them to a crisp. I've decided on using optocoupled triacs instead. Thanks for your help!