UV LED and Irradiance distribution

PimPamPoum

Joined Jul 29, 2020
Hi everyone,
I’m stuck on the same problem from few days. So I’m asking for your help…
The aim is to calculate the theorical irradiance distribution of a UV led on surface at a typical distance form this UV source.
(Unfortunately UV LED are not an isotropic source)

For example, let say:
- Radiant Flux Φe=20mW
- Viewing Angle θ1/2=60°
With the following radiation Characteristics
Capture_I.PNG

At a distance “d” from this source, how can I calculate the irradiance of a surface defined by the radius “r” ?
Capture.PNG

Then, with different radius, it gonna be easy to show the distribution, like the following on for example:
Capture.PNG

thank you !

po210

Joined Dec 24, 2013
From your picture, i think that for angles less than 30 degree (or -30) most part of all radiation that leaved the diode is now distributed in the shadowed circle or radius r you draw. From the graph, i would say that the rectangular region of 6x10 squares contains radiation emitted under those angles. At the sides of it, i see two 5x10 left and right triangle areas, that add another 2x(5x10/2) = 50 squares.
If you had 20mW for all directions, i think 20x( 60/(50+60)) = 11mW go to the circle for which radius r and distance d relate in such a form that: tan 30° = r/d = 0.57.
As a rough stimation, now you can divide 11mW by pi*r^2 to obtain mW/m2 on it.
But in fact...you should weight that at each point by a cosine angle that vary on the circle surface and sum on each angle...ie,an integral.