using more windings to create a better tesla coil

gustav2

Joined Mar 22, 2018
Hello everyone,
recently i bought a 5 dollar tesla coil from china, which can play music trough his arcs, the arcs are about 0.5 cm long. Now i don't have a lot of experience with eletronics but i want to upgrade the coil to make longer arcs. The original coil has a 1 turn primary coil and a 350 turn seconadary coil (0.2mm copper wire), it is based on a slayer exiter circuit and has a input voltage of 24VDC. My question: When i wind a new coil with lets say 2000 turns (0.1/0.05mm copper wire) and use the same circuit as before, will i see a increase in arc lenght? Also i see a lot of people making a coil with more than one primary winding, why is this? It only lowers the secondary output voltage right? My 1 turn/350 turn coil is working fine...
link to the kit: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/15W-...32798805491.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.k6QJQG

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
If it a true Tesla coil then the transformer is operated at resonance. Changing the transformer will change the resonant frequency.

This means that the cap used to resonate with the transformer will also have to change.

gustav2

Joined Mar 22, 2018
A slayer exiter circuit provides a feedback to always operate at the resonant frequency right? If i'm wrong, how can i calculate the new capacitance?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Final question: what do these circuits do: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/ZVS-...-Voltage-Power-Supply-DC-12V/32717751259.html can you connect a coil to the circuit and run it? I can't find a lot of info about this circuit.
This is a translation of the spec. from German to English, if that is any help. :

1. size: 74mm * 77mm

2. Input voltage: 12 V-30 V recommended 24 V

3. Power requirements: less than 15 V> 5A; 15 V or more> 15A

4. Frequency: 30 KHZ-60 KHZ

5. Secondary parameters: 5 T + 5 T

6. Uses military 1.6mm double board, four fixed 3mm hole.

7. Mixer tube to add new field with a 30mm large heat sink, greatly improve the stability and life!

8. Low density component placement, better heat dissipation, especially the capacity, the majority of ZVS plate will have 2 capacitors placed side!

9. Extra power line tin, stronger current carrying capacity!

10. metal film power resistors, high precision, small temperature drift!

package Content

100% Brand new

ZVS Tesla coil driver board / Marx generator / ladder H Voltage Power supply

gustav2

Joined Mar 22, 2018
This is a translation of the spec. from German to English, if that is any help. :

1. size: 74mm * 77mm

2. Input voltage: 12 V-30 V recommended 24 V

3. Power requirements: less than 15 V> 5A; 15 V or more> 15A

4. Frequency: 30 KHZ-60 KHZ

5. Secondary parameters: 5 T + 5 T

6. Uses military 1.6mm double board, four fixed 3mm hole.

7. Mixer tube to add new field with a 30mm large heat sink, greatly improve the stability and life!

8. Low density component placement, better heat dissipation, especially the capacity, the majority of ZVS plate will have 2 capacitors placed side!

9. Extra power line tin, stronger current carrying capacity!

10. metal film power resistors, high precision, small temperature drift!

package Content

100% Brand new

ZVS Tesla coil driver board / Marx generator / ladder H Voltage Power supply
I read that but i still dont understand if you can just connect a tesla coil to it and voilla... I think thats not the case

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I read that but i still dont understand if you can just connect a tesla coil to it and voilla... I think thats not the case
All you need to power your Tesla coil is a power supply that will give you a DC voltage somewhere between 15
and 24 volts at 2 amps. You don't need the driver board.
NOTE: It mentions that it will run hot if you use 24 volts so try it at 15 volts to be safe.

gustav2

Joined Mar 22, 2018
All you need to power your Tesla coil is a power supply that will give you a DC voltage somewhere between 15
and 24 volts at 2 amps. You don't need the driver board.
NOTE: It mentions that it will run hot if you use 24 volts so try it at 15 volts to be safe.
You cant just hook up a 15-24V dc power supply to a tesla coil, an inductor shorts dc current... I don't really understand what you are saying. My question is if making a new coil with more windings will create a bigger arc.