Using an ultrasonic thickness gauge with a microcontroller?

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
Alas, the only Krautkramer thing I still have is a scan of a power supply schematic.

If found this on the web for a GE USIP 40, dated 2007. This was several years after my last involvement with KB equipment. I'm guessing GE acquired the NDT assets of KB.

Pulser Spike Pulse 100 V, 400 V / Charging Capacitor, 1 nF, 220 pF / Rise Time, 10 ns

It just occurred to me that I may have at least some notes on the nature of the pulse. I had designed an in-line preamp for the return signal which required propagating the "ping" around the amp through a diode. The 8 ampere pulse was kind of cruel to a 1N4148-class signal diode, so I was concerned with total energy loss in the diode and may have made notes or calculations that might be at least a little useful. I'll have to root around a bit.

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
What was used to switch the pulse?
I've been racking my aged brain and I cannot remember. I didn't find any notes on the pulse, but I'm reasonably sure nothing shaped it - it was just discharge of the selected capacitor, so contrary to what I said previously, there was no "dwell" time at the peak voltage.