Using a TV remote for automation

Salman Anjum

Joined Oct 13, 2014
Hi...

I need to use the Television Remote Control for my project of home automation.

I can't decode my T.v remote.. I tried doing so by using TSOP1738 IC ... but I can't find a way..

Please tell me how can i Decode the T.V remote so that i may drive loads by further using a uC.

Thanks

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I built a very simple one using an Arduino. There are libraries out there designed to work on the Arduino to decode the output from the remote into a string of numbers. Then you can compare those numbers to determine which button was pressed on the remote, and control external devices accordingly. Try searching Google for an Arduino infrared decoder.

Salman Anjum

Joined Oct 13, 2014
& which IR Receiver IC should i Use for a T.V remote . ?
like if i'm using a SONY T.V remote and a Phillips TV Remote, do I have to use different receivers or is there any one universal for all remotes

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Why do you ask? If there are any limits to what you can use, you should have stated them in the original post.

The Arduino option is probably the simplest.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The commercially available programmable remotes, such as the Logitech Harmony line, use an extensive database of known remote codes. As a last resort, some can learn to mimic an existing remote. (Doesn't help if the old remote is broken or lost!)

If you could get access to that database, somehow somewhere all those codes ares defined. The information is out there. The challenge is finding it.

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Just about any IR receiver will work with a typical TV remote. If you are in a hurry just get the one Radio Shack has (had? I didn't check but their Ebay site ships fast & free).

You can just power that up and watch the signals on an oscilloscope. That's how I build a decoder once.

If you have no scope you'll need a micro such as the Arduino where you can load a pre-written sniffer program.

Salman Anjum

Joined Oct 13, 2014
thanks all.. for the help...
i found using Arduino , the most simplest way of doing it among all the choices I had.!

please recommend which Arduino , should i Use , like i have never used an Arduino Controller , so is there any specific parameter for choosing a controller for my project.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
The most common Arduino among hobbyists is the Arduino Uno. It probably has the most support (projects, code examples, and so on) of all of them. I would recommend it as a first Arduino for anyone.