Using a phone charger as LED power supply?

Samid Ashraf

Joined Jun 24, 2017
Hi,

I have an LED strip at roughly 97.2W and the manufacturer recommends using a constant voltage 120W power supply rated at 12V 10A.

Because I'm low on time in my project, and because this overseas suppliers can't ship the appropriate power supply on time, and also because most of my local suppliers either don't have this product or it is beyond my budget... I was wondering if I can use a car charger with these same specs to power the strip?

This is the product I'm looking at,
[Pwr+ Extra Long 13Ft Extra Power 110V/220V AC Home Wall to DC 12V 10A 120W Adapter Converter Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Volt Inverter Charger Supply Cord for Vacuum RV Cooler Seat Cushion Massager]
*this is the description from amazon because I can't post the link*

I wanted to know if it's okay to cut the barrel plug on this device and rewire it with my LED strip?

Attachments

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
It's strange to me that your LED strip lists a "VF" spec, which is usually provided for individual LEDs, but not for LED strips or LEDs that are made with a built-in current-limiting resistor.

Assuming your LED strip does have current limiting resistors (most likely one resistor for every 3 LEDs,) then you'd probably be ok doing what you've proposed.

I'd be more confident if I had a better idea what your charging product is, but it sounds to me like it will provide adequate power - in which case you just have to be sure the LED strip has current limiting resistors built in. As far as I know, that's the standard way to do things - the only thing making me question it is the "VF" spec.

Samid Ashraf

Joined Jun 24, 2017
It's strange to me that your LED strip lists a "VF" spec, which is usually provided for individual LEDs, but not for LED strips or LEDs that are made with a built-in current-limiting resistor.

Assuming your LED strip does have current limiting resistors (most likely one resistor for every 3 LEDs,) then you'd probably be ok doing what you've proposed.

I'd be more confident if I had a better idea what your charging product is, but it sounds to me like it will provide adequate power - in which case you just have to be sure the LED strip has current limiting resistors built in. As far as I know, that's the standard way to do things - the only thing making me question it is the "VF" spec.
This strip (5 meters in length) has sections after ~2-3cm which can be cut to remove from the strip. In each of these 2-3cm spaces sit 3 individual LED's and 2 little black-coloured modules that I'm guessing are resistors (the read the number 270 on it). [see attached]

As for the PSU, I'd appreciate it if you or anyone could copy/paste the title description in the previous post into Amazon dot ca, because it doesn't let me post links here. I'll see if I can get a screenshot.

Thanks for the input.

Attachments

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Well, I'm no expert, but that all looks good to me. If I were in your shoes, I'd feel pretty confident trying it out.

The strip definitely has the appropriate resistors, and the Amazon description of the power supply sounds fine to me.