Using 3-Phase Industrial Starter Switch to Control Several Single-Phase Devices

oceanresearch

Joined Apr 19, 2015
I have one of these switches (exactly this one): http://www.superbreakers.net/609aow.html

I also have the proper enclosure for it.

Can I use it to turn on 2 or 3 single phase devices? Instead of switching a single 3-phase machine on, would it switch 3 separate 110v single phase devices on?

Specifically, I was curious if I could run the wiring for a disco ball and LED spotlight through two of the terminals. Would it just work as 3 separate switches that turn on/off at the same time, or is it more complicated than that?

Why bother in the first place? Because this switch has a ridiculously satisfying "click" when you turn it on, and the heavy industrial look of the switch would be perfect for the location it would be used in.

Thanks!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Yes you can run three 1ph circuits through it.
There are two different means of retaining the switch/contactor, some have a physical P.B. switch, which yours appears to have, the other method is the Start P.B. actually pushed the retaining contact closed and picks up a contactor coil, as opposed to the mechanical engagement.
You do not need to switch the neutral.
Max.

oceanresearch

Joined Apr 19, 2015
Thanks! I realized I only really need to run one "device" through it anyways. I'll repurpose it to control a power bar for a few small 110v devices.