Use aluminium wire for main conductor

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
Do you think it is good idea to use aluminium wire for main conductor from KWH meter to MDP ?, MDP to KWH Meter distance is about 20 meters, and aluminium wire have cost advantages
It is also good idea to connect aluminium wire to main MCCB ?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Termination corrosion can be a problem.
I have heard of fires staring in electrical outlets due to the high contact resistance caused by this corrosion.

I had to connect aluminum wire power to my stove and I used a grease (such as this) especially made for such connections to minimize the effects of the corrosion.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Aluminum is not recommended inside houses inside walls. (it used to be but there was too many problems) Al is used outdoors and in main panels all the time. As Crutschow said used it correctly.

Last edited:

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
Alu conductors need to be larger for same ampacity. also Alu is brittle, tends to break much easier than copper, specially if there is any nick or scratch. it oxidizes which is a great protection but also increases contact resistance. used properly it is fine, it is used in industry where large bus-bars or blocks would be too expensive. but it is depreciated for residential circuits. also check with your home insurance...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I never use AL wiring on anything, period. Late 60s and early 70s with AL wiring were fire-traps that almost burned my mom's house to the ground. The insurance company paid to remove the aluminum branch circuit wiring completely and replace it with copper. Outside AL main utility feeds are fine if done correctly with high quality terminals.
1634227819545.png
CHEAP OR GOOD – PICK ONE

Last edited:

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
I bought a house that had aluminum electrical wiring. Many of the receptacles were a little burned and I had to replace them with receptacles that were designed with big screwheads for aluminum wiring. Aluminum "creeps" and causes a screwed connection to become loose and make lots of heat. Also the aluminum wire size was a lot larger than copper.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There are insurance issues to to the difficulty in ascertaining if the proper fittings were used at the time of installation.
Many installations were carried out before the mandated wiring devices came into effect.

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
Alu conductors need to be larger for same ampacity. also Alu is brittle, tends to break much easier than copper, specially if there is any nick or scratch. it oxidizes which is a great protection but also increases contact resistance. used properly it is fine, it is used in industry where large bus-bars or blocks would be too expensive. but it is depreciated for residential circuits. also check with your home insurance...
Its for my office not home... and yes... even 4x50mm2 aluminium wire prices is equivalent to only 25% of 4x25mm2 copper wire

Aluminium its rated for 150a, copper its rated for 125a, designed load is 100a maximum

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
You have been given sound advice. Choose aluminium wire at your own risk.
Yes... another problem is I needs to wait for 1 months for copper wire to arrive, there is some stock shortage for copper wire in my city... I think its good for temporarily using copper wire until copper wire arrives...

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
AL is used extensively in commercial and industrial installations here in western Canada. Substantial cost savings. You must use rated lugs, connectors