USB Drive to SD Slot Converter?

the_arachnid

Joined Jan 3, 2019
Is there a way to make/buy a USB drive to SD card slot converter? I know they have SD to USB, but I'm trying to take pictures with a camera and have them go to a USB rather than an SD card. I need to categorize pictures on the fly, so I figured I could have a different USB for different categories and just plug the one I need in to a spot on the camera before I turn it on and have the pictures/videos go to the USB that is plugged in. I would use SD cards but USBs are cheaper and I plan on having quite a few. This makes more sense with context, but it's a looooong story. Hope someone can help.

Norfindel

Joined Mar 6, 2008
USB drives are bigger than SD cards, and have no standard footprint, so it's unlikely that you could pull off something like that.
I don't think that it's convenient either to do that, as you would need to power off the camera, change the usb drive, then power on again. Not what i would call "on the fly".
Taking note of the picture number when there's a change in category would probably be faster than that. Or just categorize them after downloading to the PC?
Or go to a photography forum and ask the others how do they deal with that. No need to reinvent the wheel.

the_arachnid

Joined Jan 3, 2019
Okay, I'mma be real with you guys. The camera is going to be mounted on a vest to record criminal activity when I run into it. I want to be able to drop off the USB anonymously to the police every time it happens. I can't afford to keep giving away SD cards. The most I would use is about 2 GB of storage, and you can get a bunch of 2 GB flash drives online for a lot cheaper than SD cards. Again, there's more to it and the whole thing about it being for organization was a lie, but I really don't like disclosing more information than I have to to unknown sources.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Transfer from the SD card, whether inside or outside the camera, to a USB thumbdrive, is pretty simple with almost any computer. I know that’s not what you’re after but it may be the practical reality.

I don’t think you could have “just” an adapter because the camera is not supplying USB power to the SD card, so power would have to come from somewhere else.

There’s a reason cellphone cameras are so popular. Automatic upload to the cloud and sharing across devices and across the internet all without hardly lifting a finger.

Last edited:

the_arachnid

Joined Jan 3, 2019
I wouldn't have time for a computer in between. As far as power, would it be impossible to have some of the camera power go the the USB?

Norfindel

Joined Mar 6, 2008
There used to be some usb hdds that could copy data from a sd drive without any computer involved. Probably you can find a gadget that copy data between sd and usb drives.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Okay, I'mma be real with you guys. The camera is going to be mounted on a vest to record criminal activity when I run into it. I want to be able to drop off the USB anonymously to the police every time it happens.
Did you get bitten by a radioactive spider in a lab ????

Just how many times have you run into criminal activity in your life? I am 59 years old. I have been all over the country and in various parts of the world. In all that time I may have witnessed two incidents that could be considered criminal.

One was so minor that the cops would probably not have done anything about it anyway (street thug pulled out a chain and threatened another street thug) the other was someone running by being chased by the cops because he was wanted for shoplifting. It happened so fast that even if I had a camera mounted on a vest I would have not had time to video it. If I had known what was going on when he ran by me I would have simply body blocked the guy. The cops were just a short distance away around the corner.

Either you are not being "real with us guys" or you are living in a part of the world that is so crime infested the cops aren't going to care about your video anyway.

the_arachnid

Joined Jan 3, 2019
It's not like that. I patrol for stuff like that in my neighborhood and have ran into 2 incidents in 4 months. Both times I contacted the police anonymously and both times they said there was no proof so nothing could be done. As for the radioactive spider, definitely. /:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I like the comment about automatic upload to a cloud location. Then, any pictures taken would be available real-time to your partners without the need for a physical drop. Probably safer for you as well.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I like the comment about automatic upload to a cloud location. Then, any pictures taken would be available real-time to your partners without the need for a physical drop. Probably safer for you as well.

Smartphone and one of these
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Smart-Wifi-Wireless-Mini-Camera-HD-1080P-Network-Camcorder-Night-Vision-Motion-Detection-Sensor-USB-Charging/147309968?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=18965&adid=22222222222258259447&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=74629437341909&wl4=pla-4578229000233538&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=& wl10=Walmart&wl12=147309968_10000019829&wl14=bluetooth camera&veh=sem

done

Or for that matter just a smart phone and done.

I still say the amount of "criminal activity being recorded will be next to nothing. Anything like a drug deal, you would have to be insane to get close enough to get detail to make a case. My guess the police wouldn't touch it anyway..

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
My point in #9 is that small, slower SD cards are not any more costly than a USB drive. Just buy a pack of ten or so and see how it goes. It's not worth a big project to avoid spending a couple dollars.

the_arachnid

Joined Jan 3, 2019
It's not so much that I don't think the money would be worth it, just the fact that I don't HAVE the money, haha. Cloud drop is actually a rather good idea, thanks.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You don't need an Iphone, You can buy a smartphone for $20 or $30. Peter Parker would have no problem spending that to fit crime. Just think what his web slingers cost.

the_arachnid

Joined Jan 3, 2019
You don't need an Iphone, You can buy a smartphone for $20 or $30. Peter Parker would have no problem spending that to fit crime. Just think what his web slingers cost.
Dude, you seemed to miss the point on that one. Cloud drop is an IPhone thing. I said I could use Google Drive from my Android and the problem was solved haha. As for Peter Parker, he was broke and about to lose his house, hence why he took up wrestling which eventually led to Uncle Ben dying. The web shooters were built from stuff around his room, which I have proven is possible with the ones I made myself (I can post a link to them if you don't believe me). It has nothing to do with not wanting to utilize income and all to do with not HAVING income as well as no way to obtain income. This isn't meant to be rude, just reminding you that just going out and spending money you don't have isn't something that's easily done. Also I think you meant fight when you said fit though I may be wrong. :p