USB D+/D- (Photogate)

blitzgunner

Joined May 6, 2014
Hi, I am sorry for being an electrical noob and I need some assistance here.:confused:

Recently, I bought a photogate together with its interface module for data logging. Both devices use USB port to communicate.

If i am not wrong, the USB D+ and D- should have some signal when the photogate communicate with its interface module and also from the interface module to the host.

So I am curious whether I could tap onto the USB D+ and D- line and use their signal to activate let say a 12V solenoid ?

can anyone guide me on whether this can be achieved?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
There will be data going over the lines all the time, so you cannot easily tell that the photogate has triggered. Much easier option would be to hack the photogate and get the trigger signal straight from there.

blitzgunner

Joined May 6, 2014
There will be data going over the lines all the time, so you cannot easily tell that the photogate has triggered. Much easier option would be to hack the photogate and get the trigger signal straight from there.
Thanks for the info..

BTW, This is the photogate I bought

The wiring is packed in the casing, but from what I understand it should contain some sort of diode and transistor. So if I am going to hack it, should I tap the signal from the diode transistor circuit or the wire coming out of the casing?

And will I need any additional equipment like an amplifier to amplify the signal or a relay to activate the solenoid?

blitzgunner

Joined May 6, 2014
Instead of hacking into it with the potential danger of breaking it, why don't you build your own photogate?
Hmm..:rolleyes: Actually I have no intention of hacking it, as the photogate is quite costly and I am a noob in electronic circuit.

Though I am curious whether the signal from the photogate can be tapped for activating a solenoid.