USB controller

TechSpec

Joined Jul 9, 2007
HI

Using rs232 for a long time, its time to move on to USB. Its a bit more complicated than rs232 but it suites for my needs better. Im doing a telemetry system that contains 64 Mbit datastorage for readings and via rs232, even at 115kbps it would take forever to drag data out of it, to be more precise, about 10 minutes, that is too much of time to spend.

I did find some more easyer ways to connect with USB like Maxim MAX3420
http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/3637

But has anyone tried that out? or is there even more easier ways to connect to the USB? I dont use microcontrollers with built in USB functionalities as they tend to be too unsuitable for my other needs.

TechSpec

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
FTDI devices are popular, also Cypress makes wide range of controllers. It depends on how much on the PC side you want to work on. FTDI has virtual com port emulation, while other controllers probably require custom device driver.

TechSpec

Joined Jul 9, 2007
FTDI245 seems to be a good choise for my purpose, it has 1Mbyte transfer speed which is 70 times faster than 115kbits in RS232, only limitation will be the processor speed, is it able to feed the USB to get the maximum out of it.
Parallel data connection is good to have, it makes possible to feed data fast, and relatively simple connection to a processor. My main target is not to find out the mysteries of an USB. I try to keep the communication protocol as simple as possible via USB and that chip seems to be simple enough. Afterall, im building a telemetry system not an USB system.. so i try to put my efforts to the main target.

TechSpec