US Postal Service differences

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I just received a returned parcel that had been shipped to a commercial address in Dayton Ohio, everything correct except one digit error in the zip code, evidentally no one in Dayton could identify the correct address by the Company name or Street!
This is in contrast to a recent letter sent to UK from Germany with only the town and the receivers name on it, it got to him OK!
Max.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

In holland it would already be enough to put the postal code + housenumber on a letter to have it delivered.

Bertus

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello,

In holland it would already be enough to put the postal code + housenumber on a letter to have it delivered.

Bertus
Most American corporations have been advised to reject packages if they incorrectly addressed for security reasons.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I get stuck taking my wifes packages to the post office all the time and it's rare that I don't get questioned about the addresses she sends to being many apparently do not match up exactly right with their data base. :confused:

I tell them that's the addresses they gave her and I am just the delivery guy who pays to send them there.

The only thing I would like to know is when the post office is closed on holidays why and how it's my fault that that her packages don't get sent out? :rolleyes:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The USPS has gone a bit whacky with their databases. I live on a street called Grace Drive, but the post office has decreed it is to be known as Grace Dr. They won't recognize it if you write it out.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The USPS has gone a bit whacky with their databases. I live on a street called Grace Drive, but the post office has decreed it is to be known as Grace Dr. They won't recognize it if you write it out.
What about junk mail? Will it reach its correct destination if a tiny discrepancy is present in the address label?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
The lack of flexibility in Google Maps is even worst.

The street running nearby is known by everyone as Mansilla. To have any chance of GM taking care, you should type General Lucio Norberto Mansilla. What do you think?

Sometimes, have to admit, General Lucio N. Mansilla also works. So much for flexibility. . .!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The lack of flexibility in Google Maps is even worst.

The street running nearby is known by everyone as Mansilla. To have any chance of GM taking care, you should type General Lucio Norberto Mansilla. What do you think?

Sometimes, have to admit, General Lucio N. Mansilla also works. So much for flexibility. . .!

They have similar street names in Italy too. These big log street names that no one can remember especially for someone that does not have Italian as his first language. And then they get into their abbreviations!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
A friend of mine in Rhode Island sent my wife and me a Christmas gift this year. The name was right, but the street address, town, and zip code were all wrong. Somehow they managed to get it to us without a problem.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The sign at the end of my street says, "Lane". Every map I have ever seen says it's an, "Avenue". The mail still gets through.

Sometimes service men can't find it because they use a map, and my street is not listed on any map as the label on the post at the end of the street. This has been going on for 40 years, that I know of.

Meanwhile, I hooked up my Christmas present today and noticed my router logging hundreds of Dos attacks every day. I phoned Bright House, was kicked up three levels from Customer service, and all I could get was, "I don't know". The best they can guess is that my computer is sending OUT Dos attacks from thousands of different IP addresses and the router is logging them as INCOMING attacks. Buncha friggin McDonalds Clerks working Tech support.:mad:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
No need to drag McDonald's into this.
Nothing personal, just a left-over memory from a personal experience.:oops:

"How much for Large Fries?"
"I don't know. I just press the button with a picture of fries on it and the cash register displays the price. If you want to buy some fires, I can push the button and the cash register will tell us the price."

Technical Support for a billion dollar Internet Service Provider? Not even competent to work at a burger joint.

ps, here's a bit of the log off my router.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
You'd think they were still a government entity. They changed my PO Box number several times, forcing me to submit change of address forms. Then they decided they wanted me to live in a different town. I have mail coming with both towns and sometimes the PO will deliver and sometimes they won't. I discovered that my house has two addresses in the USPS database. If I use my cross street, I can live in the town the county gave me when I bought the house. But if I use the street that my front door faces, it's in the other town.

Our letter carrier is a flake. He, too frequently, puts our mail in the box above or below ours.

When I first moved here, I received a letter from the state department of transportation; it just had my name and my city. No street address or zip, and it was delivered. Unfortunately, that carrier retired and the ones that came after him have no interesting in doing a good job...

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
No need to drag McDonald's into this... let's call them Burger Flippers instead :D
My daughter loves McDonalds so I have had plenty opportunities to peak while our burgers are being made so I am fairly sure that their burger flipping is done by machines now. :p

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Nothing personal, just a left-over memory from a personal experience.:oops:

"How much for Large Fries?"
"I don't know. I just press the button with a picture of fries on it and the cash register displays the price. If you want to buy some fires, I can push the button and the cash register will tell us the price."

Technical Support for a billion dollar Internet Service Provider? Not even competent to work at a burger joint.

ps, here's a bit of the log off my router.
You're not getting ddos'd. Don't worry about it. These log entries are showing occasional malformed packets. Perfectly normal.