[urgent] DAC to drive headphones

skyjeff185

Joined Jan 27, 2007
Sorry. Maybe this is a newbie question. I have seen lots of mp3 player projects using direct output of DAC to drive headphones. But does the DAC provide enough power to drive the speakers? Or do i have to amp the DAC output and then drive the speaker.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Sorry. Maybe this is a newbie question. I have seen lots of mp3 player projects using direct output of DAC to drive headphones. But does the DAC provide enough power to drive the speakers? Or do i have to amp the DAC output and then drive the speaker.
You can regard the typical DAC as having an opamp for an output stage. Can they drive a speaker? Very weakly if at all depending on the speaker.
A speaker is a very low impedance load, 4-16 Ohms, while headphones are in the several KOhm range.

Distort10n

Joined Dec 25, 2006
You need a DAC or CODEC that has an on chip headphone and/or speaker driver. Take a look at the TLV320DAC23 or TLV320AIC23B.

You could use a DAC and then use a stand alone audio op-amp that can handle a speaker load of 4-16 ohms. I have seen headphone impedances range from 64 ohms and above. Read the spec sheet!