UPS Site Wiring Fault

swmace

Joined Jul 8, 2016
Hey guys, new to the forums here. I have a SmartUPS 1500VA UPS (two of them actually) in my office in Aurora, CO. One of the UPS devices is showing a site wiring fault. Both devices are plugged into the same receptacle. We had an electrician out today to check the receptacle and he's saying there are no problems. I'm a bit confused by why only one of the devices is showing the wiring fault, but I don't know nearly enough about inside electrical wiring to ask the electrician the right questions. Also, I'm remote (in St. Louis) so I'm relying on what my onsite people are telling me. What SHOULD I have him checking for assuming (as I am) that the only thing he did was plug an outlet tester in and check for overloaded neutral, reversed polarity and missing ground? Anything? I have a hard time believing that the SWF indicator is a false positive. Thanks for any assistance.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have a hard time believing that the SWF indicator is a false positive.
I believe you are mistaken.
The way wall outlets (recepticals) are built, you have to make a serious effort to wire one of them right and the other wrong, and you just had an electrician prove the outlets had not been modified. I can't imagine what you need to prove the problem is in the UPS after that much proof has been presented.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Each UPS will need at least 12.5 Amps, so don't plug them both into the same duplex outlet.
Plug each one into a separate duplex outlet.

I have one in my home lab. Nice units.
I use a lot of these at work for servers, etc.

Which model of the 1500VA did you get?

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Don't discount that there might be a problem with the UPS. Our rack mount SmartUPS came with the power and test buttons installed upside down (opposite locations). i.e. you press the test button and it powers off, and press the power button to test it... that's one of those things you don't figure out until there is a full rack of servers running and you press the "Test" button expecting to test the UPS, not expecting to test your capacity to handle stress...