Unusual heating of wall and floor of the old Comfort Room and parts of the adjacent building.

jovit32

Joined Oct 19, 2017
Hi guys,

I just want to ask, if someone here can explain to me what is happening to our old unused CR inside our school premises.

It turns out that the wall of the CR from the ground to a height of 300mm becomes hot. When I measure it with a thermal scanner the scanner reads 70 degrees celsius.

Without hot water pipes and HVAC ducts, I can't explain where that heat is coming from.

Attached are the photos.

Thanks.

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
When I measure it with a thermal scanner the scanner reads 70 degrees celsius.
70°C !! That's frankly a bit disturbing. It's hotter than a typical hot water pipe or air duct. Sunlight on asphalt on a hot day might get that hot but I don't think vertical concrete ever would. So you have an unknown source of significant energy. That's potentially dangerous. Proceed with caution!

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Hi guys,

I just want to ask, if someone here can explain to me what is happening to our old unused CR inside our school premises.

It turns out that the wall of the CR from the ground to a height of 300mm becomes hot. When I measure it with a thermal scanner the scanner reads 70 degrees celsius.

Without hot water pipes and HVAC ducts, I can't explain where that heat is coming from.

Attached are the photos.

Thanks.
Are you in Hawaii?

Maybe there's a volcano brewing under the place!!! :eek:

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
You might check it against another unit to verify if readings persist on a clean dry wall. Not sure what your using, I picked up one of these(INFRARED DT8380) about 5 years ago. They still sell them on amazon.

How does the wall feel to your touch?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That's what I was going to ask. You cannot hold your hand in 60°C (140°F) water. A dry surface at 60°C will feel hot but you can certainly get away with brief contact. Concrete at 70°C ought to feel hot to even a glancing touch and intolerable to maintain contact.

jovit32

Joined Oct 19, 2017
From the sun?
Geothermal?
What is temperature of the air outdoors?
Hi, It is not from the sun. The temperature of the wall on the higher part is normal.
The air really is warm on the area. I really don't know what to do.

You might check it against another unit to verify if readings persist on a clean dry wall. Not sure what your using, I picked up one of these(INFRARED DT8380) about 5 years ago. They still sell them on amazon.

How does it feel? It's really hot, I can't even touch it for 5seconds and as of now it is still hot.

Short circuit within the wall?
Short circuit on the wall won't last this long. A month passed by and it is still hot.

How old is the building? Could It be an coal fire? Was there ever a nuclear research lab at the school?
<tongue in cheek>
We don't know where the heat is coming from. The school was established on 1920, but I don't know when they built this Comfort Room. There was no nuclear research lab at the school.

That's what I was going to ask. You cannot hold your hand in 60°C (140°F) water. A dry surface at 60°C will feel hot but you can certainly get away with brief contact. Concrete at 70°C ought to feel hot to even a glancing touch and intolerable to maintain contact.
Yes, it is indeed intolerable to maintain contact.

Yes, it is indeed intolerable to maintain contact.

Are you in Hawaii?

Maybe there's a volcano brewing under the place!!! :eek:

That is what I've been thinking, and I don't know what to do about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds to me like you are sitting on a hazard. Have you looked at floors above and below? Listen with a stethoscope for something unusual. Map it out with a Walabot and compare to your heat readings/locations. Drill a hole in the concrete and slip an endoscope camera in there.

Call in the Fire Department and ask them for an opinion.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Is the whole length of the wall hot, or just a short section?
Are any adjacent walls hot?
Is the floor right next to the hot wall also hot?
Is there any obvious deliberate source of heat in the room, to justify it being called a 'comfort room'?
Which country is the room in?

jovit32

Joined Oct 19, 2017
Is the whole length of the wall hot, or just a short section?
Are any adjacent walls hot?
Is the floor right next to the hot wall also hot?
Is there any obvious deliberate source of heat in the room, to justify it being called a 'comfort room'?
Which country is the room in?
As you can see from the photo, the whole length of the wall is hot starting from the ground to a height of 300mm.
The adjacent walls are also hot but lower temperature. The radius of the walls affected is almost 2meters from the hottest area.
There is no obvious deliberate source of heat it is an abandoned comfort room, the photo inside is creepy.
It is located here in the Philippines.

jovit32

Joined Oct 19, 2017
What is n the other side of the wall?

Bob
The other side of the wall is the inside of the comfort room. The hottest part is in between the two pipes. Is there any chances that the cause or the source of the heat is from the septic tank? I mean I have read an article where septic tanks get hot.

The other side of the wall is the inside of the comfort room. The hottest part is in between the two pipes. Is there any chances that the cause or the source of the heat is from the septic tank? I mean I have read an article where septic tanks get hot.
Yes, it appears so...you are up to 158F but it is not much of a stretch, is it?

Bacteria do generate heat when they digest organic material, as is most easily seen in compost piles. Those piles can get really hot – 130 degrees Fahrenheit is not unusual.

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news...17s-that-heat-coming-from-maybe-not-bacteria/

jovit32

Joined Oct 19, 2017
It sounds to me like you are sitting on a hazard. Have you looked at floors above and below? Listen with a stethoscope for something unusual. Map it out with a Walabot and compare to your heat readings/locations. Drill a hole in the concrete and slip an endoscope camera in there.

Call in the Fire Department and ask them for an opinion.
We don't have the equipment here in the school. I contacted the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) for their immediate action. The fire department here already inspected the area, but they have no technical recommendations about it. I think I have done my part in this matter.