Unusual 12 / 24 V DC connector

ThomNorm

Joined Nov 27, 2013
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to work out what this is (see attached). Apologies for the low quality images - they are the best I can get. One is the empty socket and the other is with the plug inserted.
DC 12-24 2pin.png
It is a 2 pin socket for 12 / 24 V DC (usually fit with a cigarette lighter style plug on the other end for cars / trucks), but instead of having a tip and sleeve like most do, this has two separate, insulated pins, with a moulded plug - similar (but not the same as) IEC mains plugs, infact it is the same size as C7 style sockets. One pin is square and the other is D shaped. I've searched around but to no avail - the difficulty is describing it with out getting millions of round DC connectors, or 24 V relays.

Does anybody have an idea of what it is and if it's possible to by the plugs (the cable attached bit, which i suppose is female, but the bit you plug in)

Thanks in advance

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
A lot of those type sockets are proprietary, only used by that makers in their items. So look for a plug using the items maker in the search. Some aren't even available to mere mortals. Good luck in your search.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
A lot of companies do stuff like that especially when their product is similar to others, to get you to buy their accessories instead of a competitors.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
A lot of those type sockets are proprietary, only used by that makers in their items. So look for a plug using the items maker in the search. Some aren't even available to mere mortals. Good luck in your search.
It may not be if you look in the right places.

I'd try amateur radio or CB places. Its has that sort of "car or lorry" appliance look about it - Portable TVs from outlets that truckers might look in maybe.

ThomNorm

Joined Nov 27, 2013
It may not be if you look in the right places.

I'd try amateur radio or CB places. Its has that sort of "car or lorry" appliance look about it - Portable TVs from outlets that truckers might look in maybe.
Good idea - I checked and they do have similar things, much closer than I'd be able to find elsewhere, but still not the same - think it probably is proprietary

Thanks anyway