Unknown Resistor

uriahsky

Joined Apr 27, 2009
Can I get some opinions on what this color code looks like to you?
It is from a power supply and measures 42 ohms out of circuit.
I just can't quite tell for sure what it should be.
Thanks
Russ

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I tend to agree, but it's hard to tell. The second band (from the right, which is the start of the code since the gold band is the tolerance band, specifically it indicated 5% tolerance) does look like it is purple (violet). That's a '7' and the standard code does have to many options for the first band. More to the point, the only options are a '2' (red) and a '4' (yellow). So that first band is almost certainly yellow. The third band (the multiplier) is hard for me to make out. I would probably have to say orange as my best guess (making it a 47kΩ) resistor and could be convinced pretty easily that it is red (making it a 4.7kΩ resistor). In order for it to be a 47Ω resistor (and thus in the ball park of the 42Ω you are reading, that band would have to be black, and I definitely don't think that is the case). There is a slim chance it might be brown, making it a 470Ω resistor, but I doubt it. I don't think it has any chance of being any of the other colors.

chrissyp

Joined Aug 25, 2008
I think it is in fact a 47Ω.It looks to me like it has been getting hot.1st ring the orange looking band is burnt yellow. 2nd ring the brown looking band is burnt violet.3rd ring is confusing the issue with its redish shade depending ont the paint pigments this could be burnt black.measuring the resistance of the component reveals it to be 42Ω.providing the resistance is being measured correctly the result is consistent with the resistance loss of a heat damaged resistor .

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
I think it is in fact a 47Ω.It looks to me like it has been getting hot.1st ring the orange looking band is burnt yellow. 2nd ring the brown looking band is burnt violet.3rd ring is confusing the issue with its redish shade depending ont the paint pigments this could be burnt black.measuring the resistance of the component reveals it to be 42Ω.providing the resistance is being measured correctly the result is consistent with the resistance loss of a heat damaged resistor .
I agree,the likelihood of a resistor of any of the other suggested values changing to within 5% of 47 Ohms is incredibly remote.