universal voltage monitor MC34161p

arishy

Joined Apr 26, 2014
I need some help in wiring this chip.
My needs are extremely simple ( compared to what this chip can offer)
You need to look at the datasheet attached.

All I want to do is set LED on when input voltage 1 is higher than input voltage 2.
There are examples in the document to do just that, but I am not able to do it I set one input to 5v and sourced input 2 from a variable power supply.
The circuit was powered by another variable power supply. We are talking here of voltages in the range of up to 15 volts.
Once I get this going then I will be able to investigate the more complex functions this chip can do.

Here, I am repeating myself again for the sake of clarity. I want to use this IC to compare two voltages, and activate a LED when one is higher than the other.

Attachments

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Oddly there is no input common mode range stipulation for inputs, but
I think Vdd for chip should be 2 or more volts greater than input levels
to function correctly.

Maybe check with vendor or their FAE to confirm this.

Regards, Dana.

arishy

Joined Apr 26, 2014
I was loosing hope in getting a response, thank you Dana for looking into this issue.
What do you think about this onemc34161p.jpg
This is taken from the datasheet. Can this give you a clue ???

arishy

Joined Apr 26, 2014
I was just showing Dana that it is possible to provide two inputs for monitoring and I did not want him to bother with the calculations behind it.
As I mentioned before I want to start simple, and I want to get assurance from you guys, that it can be done.

I know I feel I am using a power station to light a bulb. And I also know my simple "first project" can be done with a candle ( just kidding ).
So, what did I learn so far; It is doable. My assumption is that both of you actually read the datasheet and what I want to do is within the capabilities of the IC. I simply do not know how to do it.

Anyway...I will follow you instructions and provide a better step 1 instead of step 0

arishy

Joined Apr 26, 2014
I did some digging and also got an answer for the question What in hell made me purchase a bunch of these IC's in the first place !!!
Here is the history behind it. I was always intrigued by these circuits that ACCEPT AC range from 100 to 240
During my research ( a year ago) I came across this IC that can provide the "magic".

So, a REAL use of the IC is to monitor AC and adjust to ANY value

Here is a quote
<<

This AC to DC converter circuit ( I do not show the circuit, but I have it) is capable of converting an alternative voltage within 70V – 260V range into a DC voltage within 180V to 350V DC range, so it can be used for 110V and 220V too. To achieve this voltage conversion we use a MC34161 rectifier as a voltage doubler at low input voltages and as a classic rectifier at high input voltages.
>>

Am I wasting your time......?????

Last edited:

arishy

Joined Apr 26, 2014
Here is the circuit mentioned above
mc34161p_002.jpg
It is an over kill but shows clearly the role of the IC

Last edited: