Unexpected coilgun project, looking for parts advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeealpal

Joined Jun 27, 2018
Hey, first post here, thought I'd ask after seeing several threads here.

Basically have always thought a coilgun would be a fun project to do, but rather expensive for some of the parts, however thanks to my trainee-ship I have collected 16 12000uF 400V capacitors, and a coilgun was the first thing that came to mind.

At the service center I'm at for the next 2 weeks old, but functional parts are thrown out, including 600V 200A IGBT's and similarly rated Diodes.

From my quick research over the last two hours, I could possibly use the IGBT's to switch the coils (can they handle this? It was mentioned in a what to do with capacitors thread), and the diodes can be useful to protect from current from the EMF.

My actual understanding of this is rather limited at the moment, and seeing if it would be a good idea to grab some of these, or what else I should look at while I am still there. Would be a good project to learn again

Thanks,

Alan

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Sorry, any discussion on coil guns or rail guns is not allow on AAC.
Please read the Terms of Service found on the bottom of each page.

In particular:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in your thread being closed without question:
  • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies

For this reason, your thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.