Understanding Battery Specs?

hellohello123

Joined Oct 11, 2015
I've searched these definitions but still don't quite get it.
What is meant by Standard Discharge Current and Maximum Discharge Current?

I see a datasheet lists a rated capacity of 30mAh. But the standard discharge current is only 0.05mA and the max discharge current is only 0.5mA. Could I even draw 2amps from this battery?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Ok, that's a tiny battery and those are the normal in use current ratings. You cannot get anywhere near 2A from it. The max is what it says, when it's brand new.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Agreed. Depending on what you're doing, you might use the cell to charge a capacitor and then get a burst of 2mA from both.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Standard discharge rate means what the battery was designed to handle. 30mAh is the total amperage available over a period of time. Max discharge is what the battery can produce if it's dead shorted. In other words it can't push more than 0.5 mA.

I'm no battery expert so I may be off base on this; If so - someone will quickly correct me, but since batteries are rated in (in this case) 30 mAh, theoretically you can draw 30 mA for one hour from this battery, OR 1 mA for 30 hours. Since they're rated in mAh, and this battery can't give more than 0.5 mA max, it might deliver 30 mA(h*2) or "Thirty milli-amps per TWO hours. Batteries are not typically rated in multiple hour periods, so it's a 30 mAh battery but can't push that hard.

Did I mucky up the waters for you on this? I hope not.

mishra87

Joined Jan 17, 2016
1.Standard Discharge Current- For optimum performance of a battery and maximum battery life one should discharge the battery at "Standard Discharge Current" .

2. Max. Cont. Discharge Current - One can not draw more current than defined "Max. Cont. Discharge Current" .
The results- 1. Reduced battery life
2. Reduced discharge time
3. Abrupt behavior of battery

Please find the attached datasheet for better understanding.

Standard Discharge Current 1.0 mA
Max. Cont. Discharge Current 2.5 mA- can not discharge the battery above 2.5mA.

Since primary battery have very low discharge rate rather than secondary battery. I do not think primary battery can be discharged at 1C rate as stated in POST #7.

Hope this helps !!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Techno Tronix

Joined Jan 10, 2015
Battery self discharge rate varies based on the chemistry type used and the temperature the battery is at: higher temperatures increase the self-discharge rate.