UNCOMMON LIGHT SWITCHING

RPAESCH

Joined Jun 16, 2021
Lets say I want to switch from two different sources to power one single source. lets say source 1 is a constant and source two is a pulse. in other words, lets say I have a light and I want to see it pulse using source 2 and stay on using source one and still be able to turn it off. what switch do I need and what is the name of said switch? a schematic would be helpful as well. thanks for any input.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Lets say I want to switch from two different sources to power one single source. lets say source 1 is a constant and source two is a pulse. in other words, lets say I have a light and I want to see it pulse using source 2 and stay on using source one and still be able to turn it off. what switch do I need and what is the name of said switch? a schematic would be helpful as well. thanks for any input.
The short answer is yes but you'll have to be more specific.

1. What is the voltage levels of the two voltage sources?
2. Voltage sources AC or DC?
3. What is the load? a light? what type of light? voltage? current?

RPAESCH

Joined Jun 16, 2021
The short answer is yes but you'll have to be more specific.

1. What is the voltage levels of the two voltage sources?
2. Voltage sources AC or DC?
3. What is the load? a light? what type of light? voltage? current?
OK so... Specificity, what I want to do is to be able to switch the LED rings on my tower speakers on my boat from the constant 12v over to light with the rythym of the music.

Attachments

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
OK so... Specificity, what I want to do is to be able to switch the LED rings on my tower speakers on my boat from the constant 12v over to light with the rythym of the music.
So your LED rings are currently powered by 12VDC and are constantly lighted steady on.
You want to be able to control your LED "rings" to be either, lighted steady on, or lighted in sync with audio?
Is this correct?

RPAESCH

Joined Jun 16, 2021
So your LED rings are currently powered by 12VDC and are constantly lighted steady on.
You want to be able to control your LED "rings" to be either, lighted steady on, or lighted in sync with audio?
Is this correct?
That is correct. Steady on, or I can use the wireless remote to turn them off, change color, and or change pattern through connectivity with the controller.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Many car amplifiers boost the voltage for more output power. Maybe he has this amplifier. Then the 12V LEDs will light very brightly only one time and never again.
We also do not know if he plays his music at full blast or at a reasonably low volume. Then the LEDs will barely light or not light.
An automatic level controller is needed.

My Sound Level Indicator circuit (using an LM3915) shows a wide range of levels. Maybe his tower speakers have a few rings that will show levels?

Will adding LEDs in addition to the speakers overload and blow up the amplifier?

RPAESCH

Joined Jun 16, 2021
Many car amplifiers boost the voltage for more output power. Maybe he has this amplifier. Then the 12V LEDs will light very brightly only one time and never again.
We also do not know if he plays his music at full blast or at a reasonably low volume. Then the LEDs will barely light or not light.
An automatic level controller is needed.

My Sound Level Indicator circuit (using an LM3915) shows a wide range of levels. Maybe his tower speakers have a few rings that will show levels?

Will adding LED's in addition to the speakers overload and blow up the amplifier?
I read up on that and I might have to install an inline ac to dc converter. Shouldnt be a problem. Main problem is getting it switched correctly. Seems almost like a dual battery switch but I want it in a rocker switch form and I'm not sure if just a on/off/on switch will work. it might. Hence why I'm asking the guru's.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Are you NOW saying that each light is now not a single LED (Or group of the same colour.) but it is a set of three colour LEDs. ? Are you sure that you can connect the lights DIRECTLY to 12 volts without the controller ? Can you supply full details of the controller ? When you say steady on is that just one colour of LED or a combination of colours ?

Les.

RPAESCH

Joined Jun 16, 2021
Do you already have a audio/light controller? Part number?
Also need LED ring part number
The speaker and LED ring is all one unit and only spec i can find on just the LED is a suggested inline 2A fuse.
Link for Speaker is: https://www.kicker.com/kmtc-9-inch-4-ohm-coaxial-tower-system-white
I will add the link for the controller as well.
Link for controller is: https://www.kicker.com/kmlc-led-lighting-remote-control
Amp link is: https://www.fusionentertainment.com/marine/products/amplifiers/sg-da82000

There are spec sheets for each either at the bottom of the page or just a list arrow.

RPAESCH

Joined Jun 16, 2021
Are you NOW saying that each light is now not a single LED (Or group of the same colour.) but it is a set of three colour LEDs. ? Are you sure that you can connect the lights DIRECTLY to 12 volts without the controller ? Can you supply full details of the controller ? When you say steady on is that just one colour of LED or a combination of colours ?

Les.
The wiring diagram tells me, without the controller, ill get white light if all 3 colors are grounded. if i want red, i only ground the red wire. green, green wire and blue, blue wire. if i want to change the formation at will, i need the controller. so yes, it is supposed to connect to 12 volts.

RPAESCH

Joined Jun 16, 2021
Switch the 12V between the lights and the RGB controller. Wire the RGB leads together, with diodes preventing back feeding.
I can’t wire them together or they’ll all be on all the time. I’m using an RBG controller for various light combinations. Switching the positive line isn’t hard. But I feel like, if I switch after the controller,
Switch the 3 colors between your receiver and color organ.
you can’t. Only positive and negative lines are between the organ and receiver. That’s why I want to switch the positive.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Is the thing marked controller in post #5 a device that controls the lights from the music OR is it the KMLC controller associated with the remote controller ? Are you now wanting three methods to control the lights ? (1 - Modulated by music, 2 - controlled by the KMLC / remote control, 3 - All lights on controlled by one setting of the switch. )

Les.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
The speaker and LED ring is all one unit and only spec i can find on just the LED is a suggested inline 2A fuse.
Link for Speaker is: https://www.kicker.com/kmtc-9-inch-4-ohm-coaxial-tower-system-white
I will add the link for the controller as well.
Link for controller is: https://www.kicker.com/kmlc-led-lighting-remote-control
Amp link is: https://www.fusionentertainment.com/marine/products/amplifiers/sg-da82000

There are spec sheets for each either at the bottom of the page or just a list arrow.
Ok...

What you need, but don't have, is a three channel light organ LED driver designed for a 12VDC supply.
It needs to have NMOS output drivers to interface to each LED ground connection in the LED tower. Then, you can wire each LED ground connection through a three-pole double-throw selector switch to select either light organ control or ground.

Take a look at this link (I make no claims on how well it works)

http://chemelec.com/Projects/ColorOrgan-Nmos/N-Mos-Car-ColorOrgan.htm

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I can’t wire them together or they’ll all be on all the time. I’m using an RBG controller for various light combinations. Switching the positive line isn’t hard. But I feel like, if I switch after the controller,

you can’t. Only positive and negative lines are between the organ and receiver. That’s why I want to switch the positive.
You missed the point about using diodes to prevent back feeding. If you wire it this way, they won’t be on all the time.