ultra-low voltage continuity tester?

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
Many years ago I made up a continuity buzzer circuit using a Germanium transistor as the front end detector, it worked well on MCU's and digital circuits.
It will be nice if I can "chose" only the continuity track on pcb with resistance under certain resistance. For example it will beep only in case the resistance between two probe is less than 10 ohm.
Here is my idea for a low voltage continuity tester.
This circuit is beeping.
Threshold can be adjusted from 1 Ω to 17 Ω by resistor U1.

1677466802716.png
20 pcs Germanium Ge transistor NPN MP37 ~ 2N445A, 103NU70 USSR NOS
JCD 1Pcs New Ultra-thin speaker 32 ohms 0.25 watt 0.5W 32R speaker Diameter 23mm 28mm 29mm 36mm 50mm
NOTE:

Enhanced circuit see in post #22.

Last edited:

Mullins

Joined Dec 31, 2021
@Danko in the second solution (post 22) everything remain same as first solutions (post 21) except the voltage correct?
Since germanium transistor is low gain and are not more in production, the ones I can find maybe are made somewhere ( Russia, Europe, Usa etc.) 30 year ago it is sure they are going to work well? T here's no other "modern" transistor who can make this job?

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
@Danko in the second solution (post 22) everything remain same as first solutions (post 21) except the voltage correct?
Yes, range of threshold is same (1Ω - 17Ω).
Since germanium transistor is low gain and are not more in production, the ones I can find maybe are made somewhere ( Russia, Europe, Usa etc.) 30 year ago it is sure they are going to work well?
After 50 years of storing i did not notice any changes in transistors behavior.
T here's no other "modern" transistor who can make this job?
I am not informed about modern transistors which have similar input characteristics.

Is Q2 emitter in the correct place?
Yes, it is. Q2 used in reverse-active mode to decrease β.

Mullins

Joined Dec 31, 2021
Today my sister went to the local electronic shop and the seller tell to her that hi have only LM3909. I have to buy the germanium transistor on line. Maybe in the weekend I will try to do the circuit with lm3909...

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
In this circuit voltage between probes is lowered.
View attachment 288612View attachment 288614
Danko, a question:
Aren’t Q2’s collector and emitter leads swapped?
Or are you using them in an inverted mode transistor configuration?
EDIT: Sorry, I noticed after posting that this had already been answered.

Last edited:

Dave Lowther

Joined Sep 8, 2016
today I made it and it's working like a charm. Just the volume is a little bit low.
Oh cool. Mine is plenty loud enough. Is it in a box, if so maybe it need more holes in the front to let the sound out. Other than that I guess the difference might be the type of speaker. Mine was just a cheap one off Ebay