uC current draw (simple question)

Pootworm

Joined May 18, 2007
The maximum power supply current that my ATtiny13 draws at the speed and voltage I'm running is listed as ~6mA.

This means that it acts as a source of ~100kohm resistance (at 5V), not that I need to construct a circuit somehow that will provide it with exactly 6mA, correct? It will draw what it needs, and I just have to make sure the amperage is available for it?

Thanks in advance!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Not at all. You can put it on any 5 volt source that is well-regulated and will supply more than the 6 ma stated. The device will only draw the current it needs.

Wall transformers are not good chouces, as their regulation is notoriously poor. Something like a 78L05 regulator being fed with anything over 7 volts DC should work. The regulator is good for way more than your 6 mills.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The maximum power supply current that my ATtiny13 draws at the speed and voltage I'm running is listed as ~6mA.

This means that it acts as a source of ~100kohm resistance (at 5V), not that I need to construct a circuit somehow that will provide it with exactly 6mA, correct? It will draw what it needs, and I just have to make sure the amperage is available for it?

Thanks in advance!
You should be careful. Besides the quiescent current required, the current draw of a complex circuit like a microprocessor depends on a number of things, like temperature, clock speed, and how much current the outputs are sourcing or sinking. I would be careful with a stated maximum that did not have some conditions associated with that number.

One, often overlooked fact, is that supply voltage and clock speed have a squared relationship to power consumption. Thats why 3.3V @ 4MHz may be more attractive then 5V @ 12 MHz.