UART serial printing on terminal?

azimmali

Joined Aug 10, 2017
Hello people,
I have a very stupid question. I am working on this AVR/ATMEL project. I am trying to print a string on the terminal. Is this possible without having to debug/run the target board?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Is the AVR the target board? If the target board isn't running, where are the strings coming from?

If the string is coming from the terminal, then most terminals have the option to locally echo the keyboard input to the display. But this is hard to refer to as "UART serial printing".

azimmali

Joined Aug 10, 2017
Is the AVR the target board? If the target board isn't running, where are the strings coming from?

If the string is coming from the terminal, then most terminals have the option to locally echo the keyboard input to the display. But this is hard to refer to as "UART serial printing".
Ok. The AVR/ATMEGA64 is the target (on an embedded application)

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Needs lots more info. What is the target board, not just the microprocessor? Are you using a programmer and, if so, what is it. As long as we are at it, what exactly do you mean by terminal.

azimmali

Joined Aug 10, 2017
I dont have a an ISP programmer yet. I haven't downloaded the hex file on the board. The target board is a development kit for low frequency RFID. It has an 8 bit ATMEGA64, a PCB printed antenna, a transceiver (analog front end) and signal conditioning circuitry that operate at 125kHz; an FTDI converter.

So I am working on ATMEL STUDIO 7. I know that while debugging register values can be seen in the AVR memory map. I would like to print values to an external terminal say the command window. How will you be able to do that interface without the hardware? I just need to see what certain functions are printing. Or is there a way(some inbuilt software tool/option) to print/view these values on AS7 itself?

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
FTDI - is there a USB connector? You might be able to use that. You'll need a serial library. Your vendor may have sample code.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The first thing might be to find out if your simulator has the ability to have the simulated circuit/program interact with other programs. Most don't -- but some do.