UART Problem

simoneSorceCode

Joined Dec 12, 2022
I'm connecting via a UART connection to an old router of mine, my problem occurs when I enter the Uboot bootloader via the TPL command. Characters are often skipped (for example the "help" command is received as "hep") and this applies not only to the commands I launch but to all the writing that appears on the screen, in a "random" way. Initially I thought it was an unstable connection, so I soldered the pins directly to the UART port, but the problem was not resolved. The strange thing is that once the firmware is loaded, it doesn't give me any kind of problem and everything works normally. Do you have any advice? Thanks

Attachments

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Seems like a serial driver issue on the device in that bootloader mode. Can you reduce the serial baud rate? What serial speed is the bootloader connection.

simoneSorceCode

Joined Dec 12, 2022
Seems like a serial driver issue on the device in that bootloader mode. Can you reduce the serial baud rate? What serial speed is the bootloader connection.
Thanks for your response, the baud rate I use on this connection is 115200, I tried with Different speeds but it not seems to be better

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Thanks for your response, the baud rate I use on this connection is 115200, I tried with Different speeds but it not seems to be better
You might see this if two programs or processes are both using the UART at the same time. They are randomly eating the others characters. If it works once the firmware is loaded (how often to you need to load firmware?) I don't think I would worry too much about it.

simoneSorceCode

Joined Dec 12, 2022
You might see this if two programs or processes are both using the UART at the same time. They are randomly eating the others characters. If it works once the firmware is loaded (how often to you need to load firmware?) I don't think I would worry too much about it.
I’ll try to check for other programs. Actually i noticed this problem because the router kept rebooting it self, but then i managed to resolve this issue. My goal is to try to boot another image throught tftp but i’m concerned that I’ll brick my router with this “unstable” connection.